Tech diving training options in Southern New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Several of my buddies and I are interested in taking Deco Procedures/Adv Nitrox class sometime between now and the spring. Unfortunately, the tech training options in this area are fairly limited.

This has been posted about before on here in the past several years but I thought I'd fish for some more current opinions about tech instructors and training facilities in southern NE (basically anywhere in RI, CT or MA. If I have to drive to Boston to get a good instructor... so be it. The only options I know of in RI are Pier Dive (which I plan to avoid at all cost) and possibly Giant Stride in Warwick (they apparently do have a TDI instructor available but I don't know a whole lot more).

If you have any info, opinions, experiences, favorites or even places you think should be avoided like the plague post away!

Tom Huff at Northeast Scuba in Chelmsford, MA teaches (I think) for TDI. I've also seen Adv. Nitrox and Deco classes offered through PG Dive in Newton, MA and South Shore Divers in Weymouth, MA. I've also heard that Bob Sherwood does some teaching in the area, but I don't know where or when.

I did my training through IANTD rec trimix at Dive Day scuba, but last I heard they weren't teaching anymore and several students hadn't gotten their cards, refunds, or explainations as to why classes ended early.

By the way, although I only specifically mentioned TDI in my first post, I am open to other agencies.

Marc Gaskin at PG Dive teaches Adv. Nitrox / Deco Procedures. His biggest problem at this point is the lack of students so if you have a group, all the better for you.

My guys and I will be taking it either late fall or spring. Perhaps our teams could square off for some competitive deco diving!

My guys and I will be taking it either late fall or spring. Perhaps our teams could square off for some competitive deco diving!

Hmm.... how does that work?

"Lets see who can do the longest deco hang without needing a p-valve!" or something like that? :D

But yeah getting enough people for a class shouldn't be a problem. There are 3 or perhaps 4 of us that will be doing it.

another vote for Heather and Dave at North Atlantic Dive. These guys are doing the dives you are training to do.

Back
Top Bottom