Tech Schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wopsushi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I Am Not New To Diving By Anymeans, But I Have Just Recently Been Intrested In Learning Some Tech Diving, Like Welding. I Have Looked On The Internet At A Couple Of Schools But Was Wondering If Anyone Had Any Info Or Input On What Shools And Where Is Best? I Am Currently In The Military And Getting Ready To Get Out Soon, And It Will Pay For The School. Any Info Would Be Great.

I Am Not New To Diving By Anymeans, But I Have Just Recently Been Intrested In Learning Some Tech Diving, Like Welding. I Have Looked On The Internet At A Couple Of Schools But Was Wondering If Anyone Had Any Info Or Input On What Shools And Where Is Best? I Am Currently In The Military And Getting Ready To Get Out Soon, And It Will Pay For The School. Any Info Would Be Great.

It sounds like you're asking about commercial diving ... not tech diving.

Those are very different things.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You should really get some help for your over active pinky fingers; I knew a guy who was falsely locked up in Mexico for a while and he came back with a serious twitch; therapy made it almost go away.

It's best to have full mental faculties when working or tech diving! :lotsalove:

You should really get some help for your over active pinky fingers; I knew a guy who was falsely locked up in Mexico for a while and he came back with a serious twitch; therapy made it almost go away.

It's best to have full mental faculties when working or tech diving! :lotsalove:

:lol::rofl3:

To the OP, you are talking about commercial diving. I have heard this is a good school... Commercial Diving Training - Divers Academy International's world-renowned and sought after reputation for producing professionally trained, highly skilled divers continues to be an integral part of our success. www.diversacademy.com

Good luck whatever you decide...

Yeah, Commericial Is What I Was Actually Referring To, Thanks For All The Input.

If what I read is correct, there are three commercial diving schools in the US. One is in Seattle, Divers Institute of Technology. I believe you have a link to another above.

If you want to go technical diving, here are a few schools

IANTD
GUE
NAUI
DSAT
TDI
ANDI

off topic... Why Are You Pressing The Shift Key Before Every Word?

I Dont, If You Type Everthing In Caps It Puts It Out That Way LOL...

Santa Barbara City College has a great program - Marine Tech. tuition for community college in California is the lowest in the US at $20.00 per unit (residence) - not sure how prior service military moving into the state would work, but your GI bill should cover it.

Santa Barbara is a great place to live, and I have heard the program is extensive.

The path to becoming a commercial diver has changed a bit over the years, originally divers were for the most part military trained divers who got out of the service and began working commercially. Another resource was employees who were trained on the job, normally family members of the divers hired on as tenders initially.

Currently the most popular route to becoming a commercial diver is through attendance of as ANSI / ACDE accredited school or as in the past through military dive training.

ACDE or Association of Commercial Diving Educators is a membership organization comprised of commercial diving schools that train to a minimum of the ANSI standard for commercial diving. This involves a minimum of 625 hours of formal instruction in the equipment and procedures used in commercial diving. These include the diving equipment and maintenance, underwater cutting and welding, rigging, vessel operations, seamanship, diving physics, diving physiology, diving medicine, and hyperbaric operations.

http://www.acde.us/ansi.pdf

This training is expensive with prices ranging from a low of $1500.00 in state tuition at a state subsidized university to over $15000 from private schools.

As with recreational SCUBA the quality of the education received is dependant on the individual instructors experiences and ability and the students desire to learn. When possible arrange for a campus visit and if possible talk to the instructors and current students.

Upon graduation as a new diver / tender you will be qualified to assist in station set up, perform limited diving tasks, operate the recompression chamber, and of course tend the diver in the water. The trade of diving is still one that requires the majority of learning to occur on the job, as the diver works a variety of projects they expand their competency and knowledge base.

Most of the schools will assist you with using your GI bill to pay for the course, if you would like to keep that in reserve for future education check out Youngs Memorial in LA it is state funded and runs 1500 in state 2500 out of state tuition.

Where are you from, I will let you know if there is a school closer to your home.

Jeff
jlane@rmediver.com

Back
Top Bottom