Tech Schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Am Not New To Diving By Anymeans, But I Have Just Recently Been Intrested In Learning Some Tech Diving, Like Welding. I Have Looked On The Internet At A Couple Of Schools But Was Wondering If Anyone Had Any Info Or Input On What Shools And Where Is Best? I Am Currently In The Military And Getting Ready To Get Out Soon, And It Will Pay For The School. Any Info Would Be Great.

Many years ago, a dive partner enrolled in a commercial diving school and was ripped off, he was a "farm welder" not pretty but things stuck together. And he was a better welder than his instructor. I've known a few underwater welders, and then were "Code welders" above water then took the job underwater. Become a "code" welder, or oil field roughneck above water, and you'll have a head start on a job, and then train at one of the schools that can place workers.

DIT has a good program be careful of upper office management. They are more unsafe then the new soon to be Dive/Tenders. Smoking within 3 feet of O2 cylinders while they are in use during a chamber decompression run. and VERY EXPENSIVE. But good education.

Look up "commercial diving" on this site...
Check out "offshorediver.com"-
UW welding projects are not that common in the oilfield- techniques are changing (ultrasonic bonding). Though "underwater welder" sounds cool it would be some time (years) after graduating from a commercial dive school before you ever find yourself striking an arc underwater and getting hotwork pay. Mostly rigging, jetting, using hydraulic tools for offshore work...

Thank you for your service to our country.

I am not trying to disuade you from your pursuit of commercial diving. Just a word of caution. If I read your profile correctly, you are in your 40's. I know of three divers in the last 15 years that went through very expensive commercial training only to find that, in their 30s, they were considered too "old" for most commercial dive jobs. So before you invest...

Having said that, I would encourage you to talk with the folks at Santa Barbara City College Marine Tech program about various career and training options. There are lots of good commercial dive programs, I happen to have a affinity for SBCC.

Thank You Jeff, That Is Great Information. I Am From Newport News Virginia, And Am Currently In The Army Dive Quite A Bit With The Army Divers But Only Because We Support Them Quite A Bit And Most Of Us Have Become Very Close.

Covediver, Thanks For The Reply, Yeah, Your Right Even If They Saw Me In Person And Seen What Kind Of Health I Was In, Theres Only So Many Years You Can Keep Doing That Type Of Work. Thank God I Am Not Looking To Do This To Put Food On My Table, And With That Being Said, This Is Something That Really Intrest Me And I Love To Dive Of Course But I Have Other Avenues To Turn To If I Felt I Needed To Make More Money. Hell I Could Graduate And Then Have Them Tell Me I Cant Work, And I Would Be Happy. Over The Course Of My Military Career As Special Ops And Working With Other Special Ops Units And Now Driving Boats And Vessels For The Army, I Learned To Become A Jack Of All Trades And A Master Of None... Well I Have Mastered A Few Fields Pertaining To My Work.....but Yeah Your Absolutely Right, My Days Are Numbered.... Thanks.

I have a commercial diving school about 80 miles away, called the Minnesota School of Diving. But I looked into several others including the Ocean Corporation which looked appealing.

However I was turned off to the idea when I found out what all was involved, from the people I spoke with it sounds like you dont do much diving until you have spent a couple years tending lines. Much of the commercial diving jobs have been given to the underwater submersibles also.

There are several former commercial divers on here who can probably chime in more on the subject but either way its not something to get involved with unless your still pretty young from what I heard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom