Technical Diver Support Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Technical Diver Support Diver

Program Overview: This program is developed for divers to be trained, qualified and certified to assist technical divers during the ascent/decompression phase of deep Tech dives. These support divers are trained to meet tech divers during their ascent/decompression stops at depths not deeper than 100 feet.

These support divers do not substitute for tech divers carrying and being responsible for their own decompression gasses but will be available for assistance should tech divers have difficulty during decompression stops from 100 feet and shallower.

PM me if interested. I run this class through Rainbow Reef in Key Largo, FL

Capt Jim Wyatt,

I am surprised that there would be a market for such a course. I would have thought that a technical *support* diver would necessarily be an experienced technical diver, himself/herself--especially since he/she very probably would be carrying multiple cylinders and those multiple cylinders would likely contain various gases.

Is this a new course? Has it been taught before?

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I've been teaching it for 15 years.

For the prereq's do you take rough equivalents from other agencies? For example NASE xTec 45 instead of PADI TEC40?

this has to be the ultimate tick box certificate - a dive course to help other people do their own dive

this has to be the ultimate tick box certificate - a dive course to help other people do their own dive
Nope. Padi has a zombie apocalypse diver card. True Story.

I can see some value here. Presuming you were doing a tech dive that needed support divers. It may be easier to get some lesser trained divers to do the shallow support work than to get a large group of highly trained folks together.

I think of stuff like this like I would think of a "personal enrichment" course at the local junior college. Might learn something or have fun in the class but it's not really going to lead to anything directly. I mean like a degree or a higher scuba cert that has this as a pre-req.

Plus, you get to take a class with that famous Jim Wyatt dude! Kind of joking but not really.

@lermontov I conduct the class for employees of dive shops who go out on charters for tech dives primarily. It is a customer service thing for our tec divers.

@KevinNM The website was optimized for hand held devices and I can see it completely on my iPhone & iPad.

@kelemvor the prereqs are: Pre-requisites: Deep Diver, Enriched Air Diver, Rescue Diver, Current CPR and First Aid, Boat Diver, Wreck diver, Emergency Oxygen Provider. Tech-40 and Self-Reliant Diver/or above highly recommended. Not required

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom