Technology and application of infrared gas sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CO (at high sensitivity even with low precision/accuracy) would be nice addition too!
Yeah, that too. All four simultaneously would be beyond awesome.

CO is easy to detect with IR. CO2 also. N2, H2, O2 and He do not absorb in the IR and will show zero signal. Nada.

I'm happy to explain the science, if anyone wants to geek out.

IR detection for CO is used every time you get a state emissions inspection for your vehicle. It's cheap and easy. But there's a reason why O2 sensors are electrochemical devices.

BTW, there's a nice wikipedia article about NDIR gas sensing. You will note the long list of gases do NOT include O2, N2, H2, or He.

Nothing to see here (for divers), move along...

CO is easy to detect with IR. CO2 also. N2, H2, O2 and He do not absorb in the IR and will show zero signal. Nada.

I'm happy to explain the science, if anyone wants to geek out.

IR detection for CO is used every time you get a state emissions inspection for your vehicle. It's cheap and easy. But there's a reason why O2 sensors are electrochemical devices.

BTW, there's a nice wikipedia article about NDIR gas sensing. You will note the long list of gases do NOT include O2, N2, H2, or He.

Nothing to see here (for divers), move along...
I worked at a lab that used FTIR (Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy - Wikipedia) analyzers for air samples so I understand the science. But for the rest of the group, the link you posted is a pretty good reference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom