Teen Live Aboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking of sending my 14 year old son, who is an AOW and working on his Junior Master Cert, on an Odyssey Expedition teen live aboard (see link below)? Does anyone have experience with this company? Any other suggestions for a summer scuba exclusive getaway that he may enjoy? He always travels with me to dive but he's at the age where he would just like to travel with a peer group.

Odyssey Expeditions Teen Scuba Sailing Summer Camp Tropical Marine Biology Voyages

I would highly recommend Broadreach and Academic Treks (gobroadreach.com). They have a wide range of programs aimed directly at helping teenagers advance as divers and it will be an experience he will never forget. I did one of their programs when I was 15 and my sister did a few as well including getting her instructor certification. It was one of the most valuable and memorable experiences of my life and is certainly worth a call. Not only did I learn diving skills from some great instructors but I really grew as a person and became more comfortable and confident in my own skin (not always easy to do as a teenager)! Let me know if you find a program that fits and I would love to hear about his experience!

-Daniel

From the website, it looks an awful lot like the Sail Caribbean programme. I don't know if they are connected at all.

If it is, I can only say that I am a huge admirer of the programme, and can't wait until my own son is old enough to go.

That, and that I deeply wish I had had the chance to do something similar when I was younger...

Scuba712 and Rhone Man......thanks for the reply and suggestions. I will surely look at those programs before I sign him up. I think this will be a great trip for him. I plan on sending him on one trip at the begining of his summer break from school and again at the end. He may go with one company and then we'll try another. If he likes it, which I'm sure he will, he may just go each year? The only problem is that I won't be with him to dive! If you find any other programs please pass them along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom