tell me about diving Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, we are all veteran divers in the Pacific. We spend a least a month a year there, mostly in either PNG or Indonesia. None of us, however, have been to Fiji and are booking a trip there. We will be booking the whole boat and filling it with people we have dived with along the way who are all good basic divers. We were just trying to get an idea of what to expect of the diving there. Any ideas of what to expect of the types of reefs, pelagic sites vs critter sites etc. will be very welcome. Thanks for the info on the temp changes due to upwelling. I travel with a 3 mil and 3mil core warmer. Will definitely make sure the core warmer makes the trip.

Allison - I've dived Fiji over 20 times, starting back with my honeymoon in 1983! Almost always in July and, interestingly, back then 24 - 25 degrees celsius was typical, now it is generally 25-27 degrees celsius (the oceans have heated 1/2 degree on average since '83, but the warming has not been distributed equally. Regardless, surface temperatures year and and out can vary widely. You should check regularly with NOAA Coral Reef Watch Time Series Graphs leading up to your trip as this site has real time SST - in Beqa Lagoon (you could expect the Bligh Water to be maybe a degree warmer as it is further north). I do remember a trip to Wananvu at Easter when I actually dived in a Lycra suit (and I feel the cold!) A lot also has to do with topside temperatures and afternoons can be a little as the breeze starts up.

Is there currently any dive centre offering diving in Wakaya? I dove there 4 years ago with Ovalau Watersports and it was amazing. I was sad to hear in this forum that Ovalau Watersports is not operating anymore, is there any alternatives other than liveaboard? What about Naigani or Toberua?

KK, sorry if this sounds harsh, but could you start your own thread with that question? I have asked questions about the condition of a specific location and am hoping to get responses concerning this area alone.

Any information about Lomaiviti and Tavenui Islands is hoped for here, as that is the Siren itinerary we have booked.

Oops, sorry.
I have dived around Ovalau and Wakaya (Lomaiviti Group) and I think they are really good. Ovalau is good for pelagic and corals as well. There are some challenging sites such as the crossing and the pipeline which are really stunning, school of eagle rays and the biggest group of batfish I have ever seen. There is also very decent muck diving at the Levuka wharf.

Very nice coral bommies, Hammerhead sharks and Manta rays are the reasons that I missed Wakaya.

A wharf?? Woohoo! I love diving wharves and could spend days on many of them. Thanks for that piece of info. I'll put that on my "hope to dive" list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom