Tell me about your WORST dive ever...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amanda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just wanted to hear about dives that went wrong from beginning to the end...

Of course, not talking about accidents, but about boats getting stuck with no more fuel, dives in a heaven-place where you saw nothing, girls loosing their wetsuits (happened to me once... :rolleyes: )

Tell me ... :D

OK but then it's your turn... :wink:

I had to rent a wetsuit at the very last minute once and since I'm pretty small and thin, the shop gave me the smallest they had... But it was a "Large" one, and of course that was far too big... as you will see ! The suit I rented was a man one (long one with a vest on top of it).

We went diving, and did some exercices at 60 feet. I was supposed to take off my tank (with my regulator still in mouth) and to put it back after a while. Problem is, there had been so much water getting in the suit during all the dive, that during the time I was sitting quietly in the sandy bottom I didn't even realize I had lost my vest.... the zip opened itself (God knows how...)

I saw my instructor laughing (and therefore flooding his mask...) and he pointed at something on my back... the vest was floating in the mild current ! I had to swim with my arms around my tank to get the vest back, then to put it back and to get into the BCD... Phew !! I realized afterwards that I had lost it when I changed hands to have a better grip on the tank. But I can't figure out how I didn't even realize I had lost this vest !

That was probably the most stupid thing that happened to me during a dive... And we had to stop the dive because my instructor couldn't stop laughing...

:D

Since Amanda told hers, I'll tell mine. Unfortunately mine's not funny, at least wasn't at the time! I've had several that might qualify as "worst dives". One was a major siltout story that I posted in another thread. It can probably be found by searching on "siltout" or "silt". I'll tell this other one now.....

Long ago, I guess it was about 1983 or so, I was taking a PADI AOW class with about 7 other people. The guy that I was buddied up with was Mike.

Mike was a fairly strong diver, nice guy, seemed pretty bright. We did all the dives together easily up until the final dive which was the night dive; then the weather turned.

When we got to the dive site, a place called Barracuda Reef off Fort Lauderdale, the seas were running around 4 foot and building. Since it was our last dive we all decided to make the dive despite the "less than perfect" conditions.

After making our entry and meeting on the bottom as a group we split into individual buddy teams with the instructor "free floating" between us all. Depth was about 30 feet, viz about 30 feet. It was already full dark.

Everything was going great until we reached 30 minutes BT, turn point. At this time Mike signaled to me that he was going to ascend and take a heading on the boat. OK, go for it.

After a couple minutes went by and Mike was still on the surface I got concerned and decided to surface and see what was keeping him. At this point things got interesting.

When I reached the surface the first thing I noticed was that the weather had deteriorated significantly. Seas were now running closer to 7 feet and the wind was howling. I could just see the boat in the distance so I took a quick heading. Then I turned to Mike.

At about the same time I looked at him he slipped beneath the surface again. OK, good, let's get back down. Unfortunately, this wasn't exactly his plan.

Mike was slowly descending, feet down, and was, for some very strange reason, surrounded by a huge school of Yellowtail Snapper. "That's odd", I thought. When his arms floated above his head I knew it was beyond odd, something was definitely wrong here.

Swimming through the cloud of fish, and something else I couldn't immediately identify, I grabbed Mike by the BC and turned him to face me. His eyes were closed.

Quickly spinning him back around I reached around him to hold his regulator in his mouth and started swimming him to the surface. About this time I figured out what was going on with the fish and what the "something else" was. It was the remains of his spaghetti dinner coming out of his regulator exhaust tee! Yuck!

I got him to the surface, lost his weight belt and inflated his BC. At this time he started to respond a bit, primarily by letting me know he was seasick. Gee, really?

With Mike basically unresponsive, descending was out of the question so I settled in to towing him back to the boat, now several hundreds yards away, the crew unaware of our plight. It took me about 30 minutes to get us close enough to reach the tag line and to attract the DM's attention. When I finally got back on the boat I was as tired as I have ever been, before or since. Mike recovered completely after reaching dry land.

The kicker to this story is that a couple weeks later the Midas Muffler shop where Mike worked had a propane leak during the night and exploded when they turned on the lights in the morning. Mike had been a minute late and was just pulling into the parking lot when the building went away. He was the only survivor but his injuries were so severe he was told he could never dive again.

Tom

Originally posted by Spectre
Not humorous or funny, but hopefully useful...

Analysis of a Bad Dive

I think it's always useful when people tell about their own mistakes. In this spirit I'm going repost my siltout story here.

Tom

In the hope that others can learn from my mistakes........

Background:

This true story is set in the mid 1990s. As you read this please keep in mind that things in the wreck diving world have changed greatly since this time. Helium mixtures were not yet commonplace. Wreck diving was not yet strongly influenced by cave diving, our techniques were influenced by the wreck divers of the Northeast. The plan and profile we were diving was not unusual for the time.

We were conducting a dive under the auspices of the Northern Light Project, a NOAA permitted archaeological expedition to document a deep water shipwreck off Key Largo. During the 2 year duration of this project our divers conducted over 50 man-dives on this site without injury to any personnel. We did have several incidents which could have resulted in injury or even death. This is the story of one of those incidents.

Some of the details have faded with time in my memory, I may even have a few things wrongly documented here but the basic storyline is intact and accurate.

This story is told as a cautionary tale, to illustrate how things can quickly, and sometimes irreparably, go wrong. At the end is my analysis of what happened and why. Names, other than my own, have been omitted. Of the divers involved, only I am still doing deep shipwreck diving. I have learned a lot since this day, and also because of this day.

The Story:

The time was somewhere in the mid 90s, the day bright, calm, and warm, a postcard Key Largo day. The mission was to document, on video, the interior of the inverted stern of the vessel Northern Light lying in 190 fsw off the Elbow Reef. As a NOAA permitted archaeological project we were required to document the site as well as was possible.

The plan was that I would lead a slow thorough tour of the area inside the inverted stern while the camera focused on me. The dive team would be a three man team, myself as lead diver, a videographer, and a safety diver who would trail the video team. I had dived this site many times, the safety diver had several dives on site, the videographer would be making his deepest dive to date and his first on site. Max depth was to be 190, BT 15 minutes. The dive was to be conducted on air with EANx for deco.

Arriving at the site we grappled the wreck and entered the water. Conditions could not have been better, flat calm, no current, and visibility well over 100 feet. We reached the wreck without incident and chained in the hook to the winch debris on the bow of the wreck. From there we headed south, to the inverted stern.

The Northern Light sank in a storm in 1930 while under tow with a cargo of phosphate rock taking with her 4 of her 5 crewmen. At some point in the sinking, possibly on the surface, possibly after her bow struck bottom, the ship broke in two about 2/3 of the way back. The bow section now lies upright, pointing to the north, while the stern lies inverted, partially on top of the bow section and at a slight angle.

Reaching the area beneath the fantail I verified that the other divers were ready and we fired up our lights. Each diver carried 2 large lights and a backup. All lights were turned on at this time to facilitate the video work.

The inverted stern is penetrated from below. The path leads first upward, then south, then again up into the boiler room. The ship's massive Scotch Marine boiler lies inverted but intact, fire tubes and gate clearly visible. The ship's engine and second boiler were removed long before her sinking when she was converted from a Great Lakes steamship to an ocean-going schooner-barge. Besides the boiler the only machinery remaining is the large steering engine and gear which turned her massive rudder.

From the boiler room the path leads again to the south, into a massive open cargo hold. The phosphate rock which once filled this hold has dissolved leaving only this huge dark cavernous area. Looking down one can see daylight streaming in through a small gap at the sand and again at the far south end where the hull was broken. To the left is a tangled mass of cabling and pipes blocking entry into what was probably the galley and crew berthing areas.

We slowly swan through the area, following this now familiar penetration route. Everything was going according to plan as we turned and exited the wreck by the same route we had followed in. Since two of us had run this route many times and had installed a permanent guideline in the most critical portion, we carried no lines or reels.

As we settled to the deck I noted that we had used only 10 minutes of our allotted bottom time. A quick check showed that everyone was well within gas consumption limits. I decided to utilize the remaining 5 minutes on detailed exploration of the mid-deck area near the inverted stern. It was at this point that things started to go off the wire....

As I studied the area which I had seen so many times before I somehow got a different angle on things and saw something I had never seen before, a small hole, more of a gap really, which somehow, this time, looked bigger. I will not give details of the location of this area for reasons which will become obvious soon. Suffice it to say that in the hundreds of dives which have been conducted here, before and since this day, it has never been found again to my knowledge.

Without much excitement, yet, I approached this gap and directed my light within. What I saw was surprising, at least. Beyond the gap a passage stretched into the darkness, easily large enough to accommodate a diver. The gap itself promised entrance with just a little wiggle....

Now excited, I realized that I was, in the waning days of the project, on the verge of a major discovery. I quickly called my team to the gap and motioned that they were to wait right in this spot, outside, for me and that I would return within 2 minutes. Heads nodded in agreement and OK signs were exchanged. I turned to the gap.

As I had expected, I was easily able to gain entrance. The corridor opened before me, and I began to slowly make my way backward in time, knowing that no living man had been this way since the night of the sinking.

The corridor ran just a short ways then turned to the south. After making this turn I could see that the corridor would dead-end about 20 feet farther down. Disappointment filled my heart but I decided to go to the end anyway. When I reached the end my wildest dreams were fulfilled.

At the end, with a slight turn to my right, I encountered a window, to small to allow access to a diver. Through this window I gazed upon the undisturbed wheelhouse of the Northern Light, her massive helm suspended in the crystal clear water. A massive Goliath Grouper sat serenely next to the helm. I paused here for about a minute, drinking in the details, then turned to go.

My exit was blocked by the videographer who had clearly, and against instructions, followed me in. One look into his eyes and I knew that he was highly narced yet still responsive. OK signals were exchanged. I glanced at my depth gauged and realized that we were at 200 feet, below the level of the natural bottom. OK, now it's really time to go. I motioned for him to lead and began my swim behind him. The silt cloud then turned the corner and descended upon us.

Visibility went from unlimited to absolute zero in the blink of an eye. Fearful of losing my spatial awareness I immediately put my right hand against the side of the corridor. With my left hand I searched the darkness for my friend. Finding nothing I assumed that he was already on this way out since he had gone before me.

Maintaining contact with the bulkhead and continuing to feel through the silt with my free hand I quickly made my way to the gap through which we had come. Outside the safety diver waited faithfully, alone.

When I looked back at the gap, expecting the now missing diver to emerge at any second, the view was like an open door into hell itself. Silt billowed from the opening like smoke from a burning mine shaft. After about 30 seconds of fruitless waiting I knew I would have re-enter. The only option was to lose a friend for whom I was responsible, no option. I quickly re-entered into the billowing silt.

Putting my left hand against the outer bulkhead I swam slowly inward. Thinking that the diver had likely settled in to wait out the problem I kept myself low and felt out into the corridor with my right hand. For long moments, nothing. I began to fear that he was too far to the center of the corridor and that I would be unable to find him without giving up my tenuous grasp on spatial awareness gained by maintaining contact with the bulkhead. Then suddenly I had him.

As I had guessed he had settled to the bottom to wait out the silt. Unfortunately, due to the enclosed area we were in, this silt out would last for days, not minutes. After attempting to reassure him by squeezing his shoulder I took a firm handful of wetsuit and simply hauled him out, all the while maintaining my contact with the bulkhead. We exited into the clear without further incident, unhooked and headed up to the warm sun so far away. What takes so long to tell took only brief minutes to happen. We left the bottom on time.

During debriefing I learned that he had not realized I wanted him to wait outside, regardless of the fact that he had acknowledged my signals to do so. I also learned that throughout the incident he had remained calm, never realizing the grave danger we were in. Such is the power of nitrogen at depth.

Analysis:

There were several mistakes made this day. The most critical ones were mine. As project leader, and leader of this particular dive, the full responsibility was mine.

First, I should have slowly worked this diver up in experience or utilized a more experienced videographer. I let myself be persuaded and the result was nearly catastrophic.

Next, I broke the dive plan by entering the gap. I should have noted the location and returned another day with proper equipment, primarily a safety reel, and with an experienced penetration diver to accompany me. Exploration of this area should have been made as a dive of it's own, allowing ample time, rather than on a whim with little time to spare.

Finally, when the silt-out began I should have ensured contact with the other diver prior to making my way out. I should not have made the assumption that he was continuing out.

All told, we were extremely lucky on this day.

Tom

As a very new diver (whoo hoo, all of 10 dives now), I don't have a wide selection to choose the worst from. Fortunately the worst there has been is more humerous that anything else.

My buddy (also a new diver) and I were doing some of our first not-part-of-the-OW-course dives. On sunday we were scheduled to do a two-tank charter, so saturday we grabbed our gear and tried to do a shore dive, as a "Check each other out, check that we havn't forgotten anything, make sure the rental gear works the way we expect,..." test (and, of course to have some fun).

Shallow water, nice easy shore entry, we swim out to the site, "ready to go?" "Yep", regs in mouths, let the air out of the BC, and... We're still floating. Splash around a bit, making sure we've
got our BC's fully deflated, but that's not good enough. No matter what we do, we just can't sink.

By forcibly swimming down about 15', I can get enough compression on my suit that I'm neutral, though even that isin't enough for my buddy. And it's difficult to keep the ascent from being anything other than ludicrously fast.

After spending a bunch of time bobbing around like corks, trading weight-belts, doubling up ankle-weights, having one person hold both weight-belts, etc. we eventually managed to get ballpark numbers for how much each of us should have been carrying... But I imagine we made quite a sight, popping up and down, let alone the contortions to pass gear back and forth in the middle of the water.

We're both wearing the same amount of lead as the last time we dove, and the same thickness of wetsuit. The big difference was that we'ed bought new wetsuits, as opposed to the heavily-used rentals we'ed previously been using.

For me, that made about a 6-8 lb difference, for a two-piece 7mm.

Eventually we went back to the shop, got more lead, and the dives the next day went fine. But it's amazing how much harder it is to deal with being underweight than overweight.

For the curious, the shore-dive/weight-fiasco was "the tugs", and the two-tank was "Caroline Rose / Cave" all up at Tobermory (Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada)

Jamie

My worst dive would have to be...

My first "Shark encounter dive"

I am standing on at the end of the boat, and I look down, and what do I see? Sharks, atleast 10 -15 just swimming around the boat. I am like um I am not about to dive in there, hellll no I am not going in. To my surprise my girlfriend, and the rest of the divers jump in. So I decide to jump in to, and we descend to about 40ft or so, and I am swimming around with about 15reef sharks, and a couple of blacktips!

My gf is swimming up in there snouts taking photo's , and I am like oh man she is crazy.

Anyway on the way back up after having the most terrifying dive of my life, I go to 15ft and wait there for 3minutes for a "safety" stop. I am just haning out, holding on to the mouring line, and 3 sharks circle us. Right about now, my safety stop which has lasted for about 30 seconds, is about to only be about as short as I can make it , depending on how fast I get out. I motion for my gf to go up first, and then I'll go.

I am looking up, and I make sure she is on the boat, and I see her go on, and then I make my way up, with one of these atleast 7ft reef sharks kinda following, but not close...

To make a long story short this dive sucked, and it is my worst dive to date. I sucked down 3200psi in about 22minutes, when I got back on my psi was at 300...

I don't like being scared under water... Air goes FAST

For some reason I have the biggest fear of sharks, I will dive with anything but those.

I guess it was waaaay to many replays of Jaws.

Back
Top Bottom