Temp for Abyss reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northcoastdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wondered if you have any info on the cold water performance of the newer model abyss regulator. I switched to the abyss after my old regulator had multiple free flow issues, and have been very happy with its performance. I have been diving it in 37 degree water (F) with no problems, but the water here can get a few degrees lower. I know that no one can predict precisely when a reg will freeflow, but any practical info would be appreciated.

I've used the abyss (ruby) with cold water kit under the arctic ice with no incidents.

You really shouldn't see too much of a difference between the new Abyss and the older model as far as cold water performance is concerned. We did make one change to the hose cover adjacent to the low pressure seat and bypass tube. It has calibrated holes to allowing water to flow around the metal houseing of the LP seat. This allows for better thermal conductivity around the LP seat further reducing the chances of a freeflow. Otherwise they are both phenomenal cold and warm water regs.

Thanks for asking.

Zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom