Temp gauge slow to respond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOUTH DEVON

Reaction score
I recently purchased a "Mares mission 3 gauge" complete with temperature gauge, I haven't used it as yet but tried it in the sink at home, and found the temperature gauge is extremely slow to respond to temperature changes (it took about 15 minutes to change from 15 Celsius to 30 Celsius) I was wondering perhaps they are only designed to work under pressure, or do they just put crappy thermometers in the gauges, or should I send it back to the shop? Thanks for any advise !

Slow is pretty much the norm. How slow can vary but for the most part the heat sink and provided by the console tends to cause a lot of lag in the temp reading.

thanks for reply ,I guess i will have to live with it !!

That's interesting, the time that an dive computer needs to respond for the different temperatures!!
Like the Uwatec Smart Pro, it calculates and considers the water temperature to calculate your dive profile. But what if she needs 15 min. time to measure the right temp? Does this have an impact on the accuracy of the calculation of your dive profile?
I wonder if this thing is able to measure instantly?

My Sherwood Wisdom will track and log various parameters every 15 seconds. When I look at the deep dive profiles on my wisdom, the coldest temp registered usually 15-18 minutes into the dive - sometimes even when I am on my up to warmer and shallower water.

For example on my last dive, the air temp was 73 degrees, it took 5 minutes to reach 53 degrees and another 12 minutes to chill to the minimum bottom temp of 44 degrees at 127 ft.

Regardless of the thermometer and location used there will always be some lag. There is a lot of difference in heat working between 73 degrees and 44 degrees to cool the thermometer but not nearly as much difference between 53 degrees and 44 degrees, so the change at the low end of the scale will take much longer to occur. The last few degrees can eb expected to take the most time.

I would hope that Uwatec uses a temp sensor that is directly exposed to the water outside the console and is insulated from the rest of the console/computer. If it can be downloaded to display temps and depths in increments during the dive, you can check to see how much lag exists.

I suspect though that Uwatec uses the same basic design as Sherwood does with the Wisdom the same basic limitations. However if Uwated uses broad ranges of temps to adjust the dive profile, then it still works. If anything below, for example, 55 degrees is considered cold, then you would still get your NDL limits adjusted within 5 minutes of entering the water and the system still provides some measure of additional saftey for cold water dives.

I have a Suunto Vyper and the temp reading is all but useless. It consistently says the water is MUCH warmer than it is and takes forever to change. I just ignore it.

I wouldn't worry about the computer's inability to discern the correct temperature affecting it's ability to calculate your profile. Your computer knows nothing about your personal fitness level, how much sleep you got last night, or how many beers you drank the night before yet you trust it to develop a custom profile for you on every dive. What's one more unknown variable?

O-ring once bubbled...

I wouldn't worry about the computer's inability to discern the correct temperature affecting it's ability to calculate your profile. Your computer knows nothing about your personal fitness level, how much sleep you got last night, or how many beers you drank the night before yet you trust it to develop a custom profile for you on every dive. What's one more unknown variable?

That’s true, your experience of the cold varies also for what you did last night etc, etc.
But on the other hand, they sell this feature and it should work for how they sell it to me, and it better be for that price
:$$: :D

I agree with you and I wish mine worked better, but it doesn't, so I just kinda ignore it and say it was either "balmy", "so so", or "freezing"..

:wink:

True True... I have Suunto Vyper too, and realized that the shows about 3 to 4 F more than it actually is. I was diving Cape Ann last weekend, and my Vyper showed a costant bottom temp as 50F, where two of my buddies had their temp registrered at 46F-47F.

My buddy had OMS/Uwatec bottom timer, and the other diver was on Inspiration, so I am not sure wha computer he was using.

O-ring once bubbled...
I have a Suunto Vyper and the temp reading is all but useless. It consistently says the water is MUCH warmer than it is and takes forever to change. I just ignore it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom