• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Ten years!

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by TSandM, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Splitlip

Splitlip Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Gut wrenching reading this.

2. bryanmc57

bryanmc57 DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Praying for good news.

3. Ulfhedinn

Ulfhedinn Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Wow I live in So Cal and a few years ago when I was a new diver she offered to go out diving with me and her husband when the came to Cali next. She was always quick to offer solid advice.

My heart goes out to her husband and family.

Incredibly nice person and a truly good heart

4. charlier

charlier Marine Scientist

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    When I read the post, "TS&M. Lynn Flaherty in the Passing forum, I was stunned. I assumed that it was not related to the underwater world. It such a small world that I had no idea that Lynn was an ER Doc in my small little town in Washingotn State. Her passion, her gracious presence, her thoughtful comments, and her caring outlook is rare combination. My heart goes out to her husband, Peter, and her family. charlie

Buoy_A likes this.
  5. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    It sounds like more people are FINALLY giving these two issues the consideration they deserve with respect to potential relevance to her fatality.

Many members seem to envision her as a very strong and capable diver. From my perspective, these two issues represent serious weaknesses (or at least vulnerabilities) when functioning in a high current, drift dive situation with no visual references and when drifting in water that she knew would cause her significant narcosis.

6. Doby45

Doby45 Do I have something in my teeth?

Really, I don't think that belongs in a celebratory thread she had posted about a milestone of hers. There is a specific thread for that discussion in the Accident/Prevention section of the forum.

kevindsingleton likes this.
  7. Adobo

Adobo DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...ing-greater-than-30m-100ft-unless-helium.html

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  8. Kevrumbo

Kevrumbo Banned

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Lynne was a strong and capable diver who managed her Vertigo Handicap intrepidly & valiantly all these years. It makes prudent sense that she would try to minimize Narcosis in order to avoid further compounding problems should she experience Vertigo during a dive. I think she deserved kudos and sympathy as such rather than the cold reproach from you DumpsterDiver. . .

An easier breathing & less dense 25/25 Trimix bottom gas instead of Air or Ntirox32 on her last dive would have aided and improved her chances of survival. In hindsight, the Helium expense would've been worth it: She would only have had to manage overcoming and recovery from her Vertigo, which probably was the accident's primary triggering event. . .
    We are all Lynne Flaherty's Advocates, here on ScubaBoard for these past Ten Years. Thankful for her honesty, insight & wisdom; honoring her Memory & Sacrifice, cognitively & emotionally coming to understand & accept her Passing if it was to be by Dive Accident . . .(I'm sure she would have wanted it that way).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    mdb likes this.