Tenkiller Water Temp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever been it Tenkiller before? I was wondering how the diving was there. We usually dive in Beaver lake or Oranogo. My wife is from Oklahoma and always brags about how clean the water is in Tenkiller, so let us know and maybe we'll come down some weekend and check it out.

diverdown71,
I have dove Tenkiller before, but if visibility is what you seek then you probably should stick with Beaver Lake. I have not dove Oronogo before, but I plan on making that trip up there sometime this summer. How is the Vis at Oronogo compared with Beaver?

I think Beaver is a little better. Depends on time of year and amount of rainfall.

We were at Oronogo this past weekend and the conditions were questionable at best. Temp 55 at surface and 48 at 100ft. While the temp was tollerable in a good wetsuit and not a consideration for those diving dry, the viz ranged from about 3-8 ft. Good for getting my underwater nav speciality done.

diverdown71,
I have dove Tenkiller before, but if visibility is what you seek then you probably should stick with Beaver Lake. I have not dove Oronogo before, but I plan on making that trip up there sometime this summer. How is the Vis at Oronogo compared with Beaver?

Sorry, I can't give you reports from this month. . . before the rains came, the viz was pretty good. Now, it will be stirred up. But the differences between Tenkiller and Beaver, is usually close. . . both lakes head waters are just a few miles and a line of hills apart. The rains this year are falling slightly east and north. The reports are that Table Rock is getting the worst of it. The spring and summer. . . Tenkiller and Beaver will be around 10 foot of viz near the rocky river channels, if you avoid new divers. In the fall and winter months viz you can usually find 20 feet plus of viz if you go by boat to the rocky river channel locations. If you're behind a class of new divers, at Tenkiller park, you're not going to see anything.

Long ago, Tenkiller flooded two years in a row. 34 feet above normal, one year the mud flowed along the surface, muddy viz down to 30 plus feet. . . clear viz and night time darkness below the mud layer. . . the dive shops sold out of dive lights, and log books were recording lots of night dives that year. The next year the rain water flowed below the clearer lake and the shallow surface water had 20 + foot viz. Sometimes you just have to look in several places on the lake to see how and where the muddy water is flowing.

Back
Top Bottom