Tenkiller!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No I've only dove crappie a couple times. I did find the sneaky cavern though.

I don't remember seeing a cross-arm on the pole with the skeleton. IIRC it was on an old tree trunk.

We have an interesting story about one of those sneaky caverns....where EXACTLY is the scuba park??

LakeScubaDiver:
....where EXACTLY is the scuba park??

Well, you know where Crappie point is. Follow the shore-line around to the north. There is a bouyed off area around an old boat ramp. This used to be called DX landing. THAT is the scuba park. Theres pretty good parking in that area, and an easy walk down the ramp into the water. Where you see the verticle markers in the water is where the undewater stuff is (generally).

Comrade

Ok we dove there before with this Indian dude who was spearfishing...we stayed by the rocks though and went from near that boat dock there starting on the rock ledges and moving west...I think we went around 75 ft...we'll look for it next time we're there!

LakeScubaDiver:
We have an interesting story about one of those sneaky caverns....where EXACTLY is the scuba park??

The Scuba Park is at DX Landing right by the Dam in the State Park. It's a safe and fun place to train and dive with a few attractions too. If you head on out into the lake past the Scuba Park then things get cool. There is a nice Wall that drops to the old river channel and it goes on forever. DX is Nice little place to stay and camp, close to food and services but it still feels remote. You can get a good Chicken fried steak about 1/2 mile away. I think they call it the Drive In The service is relaxed, fast and friendly and all the girls are blonde and cute too. My Wife and all my girls are blond so it makes me feel right at home. :wink:

Crappie Point is right there as well.
Both places are really easy to enter and exit and I really enjoy diving there. You can dive deep there too . Stop by one of the Scuba Shops or Fishing Places and get a Topo Map of the lake for about $7. It'll show you all the cool stuff under water. It's a 6 page map I think. Near the Dam is the deepest area with the best walls. You could dive there forever.

I don't know the sneaky cavern. I may have been in it if it is near Crappie Point.
Man that spot could be a hazard if you don't watch what your doing.
I did a morning dive by myself last July and the place can surround you .
There is a thin canyon near the dam that is really cool but if you want to get disoriented that sure is the place to do it :D
There is a sign I saw on my way down at around 40 feet I think that says : Remote Buddy Phone / Dangerous Overhead Environment. I saw it coming and leaving which is just a trip. To run across it at all seems just a chance thing in a lake that size. It's funny when you see it but it's very true. I'd say look up often and if you can't see the sky then it's cave country. Deploy a line or back up ! I don't know about caves being there but it does have some wicked overhangs. The day I went I could not see too far. Since it is a thin canyon unless the Sun is at high noon it will be dark there.
It's a very Soul Stirring Solo Dive.

On a scale from 1 to 10 with 7 being the highest I give the place a 6 for sure :14:

A yea... The Lake Diver Shirts are pretty Cool Threads !

We usually get in at crappie point right by that lowest parking lot/camping area...then head to the left following the bottom....there is a cavern around 45 ft or so and then another one around 80 ft or so...that is a dive we can do w/no vis (which sometimes happens)....we usually arrive in the middle of the night and it's raining and we jump in!

Timeliner:
I don't know the sneaky cavern. I may have been in it if it is near Crappie Point.

A yea... The Lake Diver Shirts are pretty Cool Threads !

I haven't hit the one at 80ft yet. I did find the one at about 45 though. I swam towards the dam, following the wall for a ways at about 25 feet, then I dropped down to the bottom slope. This is at about 45-50 feet. I then began heading generally back towards the entry point. Suddenly I found myself at the back of narrow "V". I tried to ascend a little bit off the bottom and then I realized that I was in a "cave". At this depth there is no natural light, so any cavern is "sneaky." I actuall started to get a scared about getting trapped. I was worried about trying to go on or retrace my path. I worried about getting into a side cavern because I hadn't followed the wall contour to get here. FEAR SUCKETH!! :(

I had to stop, tell myself that I got in easy, getting would be easy. I just had to find the direction out. I checked my air supply, and had about 1500 left, plus my 19cf pony. I dropped back down to the bottom (how I got to this point). I checked my compass and oriented myself on the azimuth that went straight out towards the dam. I had taken the compass reading before I started my dive. :D I followed this heading, along the bottom for maybe 50 feet (felt like it anyways) until suddenly I saw the faint green above me that meant open water.

I did find nice, rubber Sherwood valve knob back in there though. Bet someone had trouble shutting off thier tank.

I really owe my safe outcome to LakeScubaDiver. I had recently read his report of getting stuck in one of these caves (maybe this one) and how he got out. UP, wasn't his answer. Neither was going "left" or "right" so I didn't try it. THANKS MAN!

I do think it would be fun to explore if I had my reel tied off outside the entrance, so I could always find my way back.

Comrade

PS- Lake Diver shirts ROCK!!! I think Gene and Tim could sell a ton of them!

fire_diver.... I knew there had to be a mouse in my pocket when I dove there. Was that You ??? :D

Man that sounds like the same dive I did at that spot !!! I totally understand the freak factor you describe. For a time I thought I had really screwed the Pooch !!! Then I just chilled for a minute and actually remember laughing a bit and thinking ,
"this would be a stupid place to die " :rofl3:
I checked my gauges and compass and started back. Pretty soon I saw the green light from above. :14:

Next time more gas and more light and some cave line

Mike and I had the same experience...except I knew when we entered it as the opening is pretty big...it's more like a big giant overhang with walls on it, which I guess would be a "cavern"!! ...Well, we got in, I tapped him and said "look up" and he saw the ceiling and BOLTED OUT! I had thought he knew where he was going, but in retrospect, he thought he was leading us into it the whole dive!! There is another one maybe deeper (maybe the lake was just up at the time and it's the same one we're all talking about) but we would go in it on a night dive and turn all our lights off and just chill out!

We do need to find that story of this, but I think it got deleted when we transferred to a new webserver!

Wow,
Tenkiller sounds pretty cool, sounds like I am going to have to make a trip down there soon. Will also have to find out about the spearfishing laws in OK. Hope to see some of you guys there!

Dark Wolf

Back
Top Bottom