Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point of smart chargers is that the device "talks back". If teric can't handle the standard 5W, or can't talk back to the charger and throttle it down to 5W, then it's not actually qi-compliant and its Fine Manual should say in bold 96-point font on page 1: do not use qi chargers.

Agreed, it baffles me that they didn't fully support the Qi standard. But then again many companies aren't following the USB-C standard allow even for 5V only devices to talk to PD chargers. My cheap $20 neck fan can do that, but not a $160 dive light or a $500 Paralenz.

Agreed, it baffles me that they didn't fully support the Qi standard. But then again many companies aren't following the USB-C standard allow even for 5V only devices to talk to PD chargers. My cheap $20 neck fan can do that, but not a $160 dive light or a $500 Paralenz.

MacBook Airs have a usb-c socket that can't do even 100W simply because the laptop's battery can't supply that. We had users plugging in a hub to connect the USB drive and the mouse (one USB port should be enough for everyone, right?) and we'd take bets on which of those devices was going to work, this time around.

MacBook Airs have a usb-c socket that can't do even 100W simply because the laptop's battery can't supply that. We had users plugging in a hub to connect the USB drive and the mouse (one USB port should be enough for everyone, right?) and we'd take bets on which of those devices was going to work, this time around.

I think you have an extra zero there.

A little note on statistics
Some have commented that the poll may be skewed because SB members without problems may have not be participating. This might be true.

However, there is a very easy way of solving the sampling issue: within those that have got a replacement, which percentage has needed a second replacement or a repair on this second unit?

The statistics on the second unit should be bias-less (or even SW could make sure that you get better than average units). E.g. if the number of problematic units is 10%, only 1% (10% of the 10%) will get a second defective unit.

However I am seeing several posts of owners reporting several consecutive problems, which confirms that the number of defective units/batteries is very high.

My Teric is on the way back to me from the APAC service centre in New Zealand. Apparently it flooded due to a “materials defect”.

Most Mac products don't even have an input for more than 100W. For example the 13" MBP is 65W IIRC. I believe the MBAs are like 30W, with max 10W output.

Of course not. There's little to no relationship between having USB-C port and adhering to USB power delivery standards -- and that's from the core members of USB IF. What can you expect when you throw inductive charging, and a dive computer company, into the mix?

Of course not. There's little to no relationship between having USB-C port and adhering to USB power delivery standards -- and that's from the core members of USB IF. What can you expect when you throw inductive charging, and a dive computer company, into the mix?

I don't see the relationship, nothing in the standard requires ports to output on battery what it can input from AC. It would be physically impossible as only a fraction of that is going to the battery. I had a Dell from work, it required a 100W adapter by specs and per the prompts from Windows. But I could run it on a 60W adapter the battery didn't charge much until I put it to sleep, but it wasn't draining the battery. My current MBP (came with 65W) will do the same with the 30W adapter (or when my current adapter drops down to 30W because I am using all three ports).

And Shearwater created this problem, when the Teric was released they had a list of Qi chargers that worked. Granted they still had the bad couple of batches of batteries. But if what Dive-tronix is saying is correct the last couple battery changes were due to the Qi chargers that Shearwater specifically recommended at the time.

I actually mentioned the 12" MacBook as an example of bad design. Like if your dive computer can't handle the stock qi charger, then maybe putting in a qi charging coil is bad design: a proprietary charging clip, so you can only charge it with the factory charger, might be a much better option.

Not sure how we got to "nothing in the standard requires your NEMA 5-15 wall plug to deliver 15 amps when running on wind power" -- sorry about the topic drift.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom