Terkel v. Halcyon v. Dive Rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hailey

New
Reaction score
I'm planning to purchase an HID canister light and would like some input. Currently I'm leaning toward either the Terkel Sollys or the Halcyon Helios 10W. I'm also looking at the Dive Rite MR11. Any ideas on which is better. They are close enough in price that I'm not price shopping -- I want the light that is the most durable and provides the best light source.

I'm a little concerned with the way the Terkel connects, but other than that, I'm not seeing any real difference between the three lights.

Welcome to the board Hailey! This board is a wealth of existing information. I'd recommend starting with the search command and then coming back with any specific questions.

I have the DR and love it.

I have the Terkel. It's a fine light.. the canister is the same size as the Helios 9 and uses 10 C size cells instead of 10 4/3A size cells.. but you can fit a 9ah battery inside the canister if you wish. You can buy those for about $150 from TNR Technical. It's a very well made canister with solid connections and now comes with a stainless steel handle instead of a plastic one. The only problem is that you can't focus the thing at depth.

The Helios 4.5 is very nice, but also not without its problems. I'll let people who actually own them talk about them though. The Dive Rite MR11 isn't focusable, but their H10 is.

jonnythan:
I have the Terkel. It's a fine light.. the canister is the same size as the Helios 9 and uses 10 C size cells instead of 10 4/3A size cells.. but you can fit a 9ah battery inside the canister if you wish. You can buy those for about $150 from TNR Technical. It's a very well made canister with solid connections and now comes with a stainless steel handle instead of a plastic one. The only problem is that you can't focus the thing at depth.

The Helios 4.5 is very nice, but also not without its problems. I'll let people who actually own them talk about them though. The Dive Rite MR11 isn't focusable, but their H10 is.
Hey Jonnythan - I see you got the Terkel. Great stuff! It's a great light. I really love mine. I don't know if you have the older lid for the canister, but Terkel has a new lid that fixes a potential problem with the older lids. I had leak due to this problem and Terkel fixed it for me PDQ.

One thing about Terkel is that he will bend over backwards to help you out if you have a problem. When my canister had the partial flood, I sent it back to Terkel, and he replaced the lid, sent me a new battery and bulb (along with some line markers) all gratis. He personally emailed me to keep me up to date as to the status of the repair. As well, he has shipped me a new style lid for me to replace the existing one as well ... all gratis. I don't know if you'd necessarily get such personalized service from a larger company, but Terkel rocks!

Warren_L:
Hey Jonnythan - I see you got the Terkel. Great stuff! It's a great light. I really love mine. I don't know if you have the older lid for the canister, but Terkel has a new lid that fixes a potential problem with the older lids. I had leak due to this problem and Terkel fixed it for me PDQ.

One thing about Terkel is that he will bend over backwards to help you out if you have a problem. When my canister had the partial flood, I sent it back to Terkel, and he replaced the lid, sent me a new battery and bulb (along with some line markers) all gratis. He personally emailed me to keep me up to date as to the status of the repair. As well, he has shipped me a new style lid for me to replace the existing one as well ... all gratis. I don't know if you'd necessarily get such personalized service from a larger company, but Terkel rocks!

I totally agree. I got one of Terkels first lights with the old lid, but he upgraded me for free. I probably have over 200 dives on mine and it always strikes and I've had zero problems since he replaced my lid over a year ago. Terkel is also a great guy to do business with and I couldn't be happier. Just make sure whatever you get that the light head is focusable and it has a solid Goodman handle on it.

Good luck,

hailey:
I'm planning to purchase an HID canister light and would like some input. Currently I'm leaning toward either the Terkel Sollys or the Halcyon Helios 10W. I'm also looking at the Dive Rite MR11. Any ideas on which is better. They are close enough in price that I'm not price shopping -- I want the light that is the most durable and provides the best light source.

I'm a little concerned with the way the Terkel connects, but other than that, I'm not seeing any real difference between the three lights.

I use the Dive Rite and have enjoyed it thus far after having a PADI executive buddy of mine recommend it to me. Thus far so good.

Gillybene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom