Testing the waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Since Nekton has closed up shop, no liveaboard has serviced Puerto Rico and the USVI. I will be taking the Spree to Puerto Rico, Mona, St. Croix, St. Thomas, and Veiques for the month of April to conduct research.

I'm interested in whether anyone thinks it would be fun to go diving in that area in May. I'm told that the walls of Southwestern Puerto Rico and Mona are wild and beautiful, and that the Eastern side is very nice, but a bit tamer. We would stay for 2 weeks, running trips from May 7-14, and one May 14-21. Trips would be rebreather friendly (no tech, no decompression), including all linens and bedding, 6 days of diving 7 nights accommodations, food, nitrox (32%), soft drinks, beer and wine, and my smiling face :D

We would retail the trip for $1550

Any interest?

Sounds interesting!

Based on the trip dates, it appears that people need to board in Puerto Rico rather than in FL, yes?

Yes. It takes me 5 days just to get to PR from Key West. This would only be Puerto Rico departure and return.

Frank,

I'd sure like to do that trip, but an committed to a golf tournament that interferes. Kamala of singledivers.com did one of the last Nekton trips in that area and loved it. I esp. like the April/May timeframe before hurricane season starts.

If you decide to do it again, I'd be real interested. Besides, who could pass up one of your boat briefings (and your smiling face!!).

Harry

I would be interested, specifically diving around the USVI. Not so much Puerto Rico and Mona but I could be swayed. At any rate, keep us informed. I am interested.

Wow, that would have been a fantastic trip, but the dates don't work for us.

Looks like fantastic trip Frank! Too bad that with recent developments in regards to my granddaughter (who we plan to adopt so she can get care she needs) I am passing all the diving opportunities as such. Simply came to the point that my priorities in spending $ changed pretty much overnight :(

Looks like fantastic trip Frank! Too bad that with recent developments in regards to my granddaughter (who we plan to adopt so she can get care she needs) I am passing all the diving opportunities as such. Simply came to the point that my priorities in spending $ changed pretty much overnight :(

Not a thing wrong with that. Good on you man.

As for PR I was there last Jan and only got to do Fajardo and Palmas. Fajardo was not so great but it had been raining for a week before I got there and the mudline was way out. Palmas was much better. PR to me was incredibly expensive so Frank's price is great! I'd love to do it but that time line does not work for me or my GF.

Sorry Wookie, another "I'd love to go but can't" message. So I can relay your offer to others, you are saying $1550 per week, correct?

After our Nekton trip, I'd rate the diving on the North side of St Croix as nice enough to return to but the South side was repetitive besides the pier. We never got to Vieques (disappointed).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom