Texas Clipper Trip Report - August 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Texas Clipper Trip Report – August 2009

Just got back from South Padre Island where me, downunderjenn, wjknobles, & the Bishops made some excellent dives on the Texas Clipper with American Diving.:D

The first time I dove this artificial reef was in June 2008 on a trip w/ K-valve, who unfortunately found that sea sickness can hit even the best of us. Visibility was pretty poor and the best we could do was circle around the down line to avoid getting lost in murky brown water covering the wreck.

The following September, wjknobles & I headed back to the Clipper, but due to a lack of divers the boat never left the dock. Fortunately, the South Padre Music Festival was going on so we still had a good time and didn’t feel we made the 6 hour drive from Austin for nothing. Ironically however, most of the bands we watched play in Austin on a pretty regular basis. We go see Blue Oyster Cult and waited patiently through their entire set for Romeo & Juliet… Don’t fear the reaper!

On the next attempt, Memorial Day weekend 2009, Marco Aleman rode down with me to meet the rest of the above crew on the beach for some camping beneath the stars. The following morning, we arrived at the dock and headed out in seemingly excellent conditions… almost no wind and 2 foot seas. Our luck ended there however as the farther out we got the water was black instead of blue, not a good sign for visibility. We remained hopeful as the seas remained calm during the 17 mile trip out to the wreck site. Everyone on board, including the Captain was surprised to see the huge marker buoy slanted almost horizontal, meaning the current was really ripping below. After a quick checkout dive, the captain said conditions were dangerous, with 5-10 foot visibility and ripping current all the way down. He offered vouchers for another run and everyone readily agreed.

Fast forward to this last weekend… beautiful weather, great camping, same great group of divers, sans Marco, and conditions were awesome! Visibility was between 70-100 feet, down to 110’, below which was a layer of milk-like fog, pretty cool with most of the shipwreck rising out of it… kinda ghostly. There was ambient light throughout most of the ship which was very well prepped for diving with large holes cut throughout for easy access. Penetration was made even easier after a hurricane ripped a huge hole in the rear of the ship allowing access to every deck!

I guess third time really is a charm & now I cannot wait to go back and dive this wreck with some doubles and deco bottles!:wink:

A very big thanks to the crew of American Diving for an outstanding job and great dive excursion.:clapping:

I hope I don't have go back twice more before getting to dive her. Glad to hear you had some good dives and that they are up and running again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom