Texoma... Where Eagles Soar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Kunk35 and I were back out at Lake Texoma to finish up a search and recovery operation we started a few of weeks ago. We were at the simple lake home of a Texas billionaire to find and help repair a broken underwater cable. Since I had my last thread removed because it contained something about politics I really can't say who's place it was.
We did the bone cerimony and as usual it was spot on in predicting the direction of our dives. The Bones never do lie.

We saw a Bald Eagle. It just flew right by us at eye level..... too cool ..... !!

We had located and checked 8 cables the last trip out and followed them to they're heavy anchor that were 150 yard out into that lake at times. It's about 70 feet or so out there these days.
We set to work untangling a broken 1 inch diameter cable near the 100 foot floating break water it was attached to.
We had found that broken cable on the last outing and after getting it laid straight we went and located the other broken end and with the help of a barge the topside help spliced the two back together . That underwater work is heavy stuff . It's prety cool though being down in the dark with almost no vis wrestling with heavy objects :D

With our job done we set out on our next dive to just have some fun along the South shore. We coasted along enjoying the rocks at about 50 feet and found a Super Hooker Anchor jammed into a huge tree stump. after we dislodged it we coiled the chain and 40 feet of attached rope and dragged it up to the shore to retrieve later.

The Vis. at Texoma this week was the best I've ever seen it there. I'd say that it is probablly better then Lake Murray right now and certainly better down deep. The water temp. was 75 on top and 72 along the bottom

Great weather all day :wink:

Texoma2.jpg

Way cool about the eagle - what a treat!!

Definitely way cool! I haven't seen one in the wild. FooMan has seen eagles on 3 different occasions, while duck hunting, only 5 miles from our home. He said it is an outrageous experience, I'm jealous. But not jealous enough to get up as early as duck hunters... :wink:

Definitely way cool! I haven't seen one in the wild. FooMan has seen eagles on 3 different occasions, while duck hunting, only 5 miles from our home. He said it is an outrageous experience, I'm jealous. But not jealous enough to get up as early as duck hunters... :wink:

No need to get up and go duck hunting. Just do a little winter camping at Beavers Bend below Lake Broken Bow.

Teri, yeah...what Craig said.

There's one that winters here in a tree about 80 yards from the house sometimes. People that go down the Farm to Market road that see it stop and look for awhile.

Also a common red-tailed hawk that came up right before Ike...Thought he was gonna perch in the yard as he came up so close and landed (looking for mice I guess) so many times. If the one in your area is only 5 miles away there should be a nest somewhere close. Just go out and look.

I'll let ya know if the bald eagle here shows up again this year.

Frank!!! I'm surprised at you! You didn't resize the pics. to 620x480. Gee, these college professors. :D

Last edited:
Man, I thought it was a great day until I read Frank's account, now I feel like I had a FANTASTIC day! If it weren't for Frank, I wouldn't have even seen the eagle, I was busy getting suited up for the dive when he spotted him.

It's amazing when you love diving so much that it doesn't matter how long the dives are or what you are doing, as long as you are diving.

Frank, this has to be the first time the infamous "Bone Ceremony" has ever been captured on film. Am I right??

I've got to pick me up some lift bags for our future outings to Texoma. That anchor kicked my tail!!

It was a cool day, and interesting as always diving with Frank!

Teri, yeah...what Craig said.

Wow, look who showed up!! It's about time, Mike, I thought you moved to Bali or sumpin...

Okay, so let's go camp at BB this winter then. But maybe before it gets REALLY winter. Brrrr, the water at BB is cold already!

I saw a hawk on my drive home from work yesterday- it was centered atop a speed limit sign on the FM road I take each day. Just sat still and watched me as I watched her. Never flinched. Pretty cool. I also see buffalo on my drive, along with plenty of assorted horses and cows. 30 minute commute, but would pick it any day over the days of 15 mins in bumper to bumper traffic. :D

Camp? Winter?

Ummm....lemme see if they have their cabin rates posted yet. :D:D:D

BTW, there are a couple of deer behind the house as I am writin' this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom