TG-4 with Inon strobe or with dual Sola 2000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakubson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I have read many of the TG-4 threads here, and appreciate the advice. I am switching from a Canon S100 to a TG-4. I borrowed a TG-3 on my last trip after the Canon went crazy, and I LOVED the ease of macro. I would like a couple of suggestions, though.

First, do people recommend turning the AF Illumination setting on? I cannot find any discussion of this setting and its use in UW photography.

My second question has been discussed extensively here - strobe versus photo light. I know that using my strobe is preferred. But I have reached the point that I am trying to simplify my life. However, I figure that I will never really know for sure until I try it out myself. So, on my trip in two weeks, I will dedicate some dives to each of the following configurations:
1. TG-4/PT-056 with one Sola 2000 light and my tried and true Inon D-180 strobe.
2. TG-4/PT-056 with dual Sola 2000 lights.

My question is simple - does anyone have sage words of advice? Should I turn off the internal flash in option 2, or let it add to the light output (knowing the increased risk of backscatter)? I am not so worried about video, as I mount a GoPro Hero Black 3+ with a Flip 3.1 filter to the cold shoe mount of the PT-056.

Thanks a lot, and I apologize if I missed some threads where this has been discussed.

So, on my trip in two weeks, I will dedicate some dives to each of the following configurations:
1. TG-4/PT-056 with one Sola 2000 light and my tried and true Inon D-180 strobe.
2. TG-4/PT-056 with dual Sola 2000 lights.

My question is simple - does anyone have sage words of advice? Should I turn off the internal flash in option 2, or let it add to the light output (knowing the increased risk of backscatter)? I am not so worried about video, as I mount a GoPro Hero Black 3+ with a Flip 3.1 filter to the cold shoe mount of the PT-056.

I've never played around with the AF illumination so I can't comment there, but for photos, strobes are preferred over video lights. Depending on conditions, you could find that dual video lights work sufficiently for your needs for photos.

If you are using dual video lights I would turn off the internal flash, unless you are within a foot of the subject the internal flash will probably not really add any additional illumination and will like you suspect cause backscatter, but again it depends on conditions.

The Olympus TG3 and TG4 unfortunately do not have a shutter speed option. So it automatically selects a shutter speed that is often less than optimal. One way to mitigate this is to use a strong video to mitigate this problem pushing its sensor to "see" more light. Having said that a strobe is usually better. I would use a strobe and a video light concurrently...

Good point. Thanks. It turns out that this is the configuration that I practiced with in my bedroom last week - Inon strobe on the left and Sola 2000 on the right. I was pleased with the results. A side benefit is that the shadowing effect of having only one strobe was softened (but of course not eliminated) with this configuration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom