Tg 6 low shutter speeds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With my back scatter mf01, I'm getting 1/60 to 1/100 with ISO 100 and exposure compensation at -2.0

Doesn't seem to get faster when I turn up strobe power. It just washes out the scene with over exposure.

All macro photography.

Thanks

I use video lights and turn the power down. I'm happy enough with my macro shots

A SEA HORSE HEAD.JPG
SEA MOTH CLOSE UP.jpg

MANTIS IN HIDING.jpg

With my back scatter mf01, I'm getting 1/60 to 1/100 with ISO 100 and exposure compensation at -2.0

Doesn't seem to get faster when I turn up strobe power. It just washes out the scene with over exposure.

All macro photography.

Thanks
Changing shutter speed does not affect the exposure on a macro shot if your illumination is a strobe. The strobe duration is so short the shutter just opens, later on the strobe fires briefly, then the shutter closes. You need to control the aperture to vary the exposure.

Changing shutter speed does not affect the exposure on a macro shot if your illumination is a strobe. The strobe duration is so short the shutter just opens, later on the strobe fires briefly, then the shutter closes. You need to control the aperture to vary the exposure.

Are you referring to the tg6 or in general?
Because the tg6 only has either wide open or medium closed.

Are you referring to the tg6 or in general?
Because the tg6 only has either wide open or medium closed.
The TG-6 has three f-stops: f/2, 2.8, and a 3x neutral density filter to give the equivalent of f/8. The f-stops get smaller if you zoom in.

The TG-6 has three f-stops: f/2, 2.8, and a 3x neutral density filter to give the equivalent of f/8. The f-stops get smaller if you zoom in.

But you didn't answer my question.
Because changing the shutter speed does directly affect exposure.
Is this not the case with the tg6?

But you didn't answer my question.
Because changing the shutter speed does directly affect exposure.
Is this not the case with the tg6?
If the main light on the subject (i.e., typical macro) is the strobe, the shutter speed is irrelevant unless it is so slow that the ambient light overwhelms the strobe illumination. Shutter speed (if you could manually vary it on a TG-6) will affect the ambient light exposure. For example, if you could choose 1/500 instead of 1/60, the illumination from the strobe would not be affected, but the ambient light exposure would be greatly diminished, which is useful for making the water background black or deep blue instead of light blue or almost white.
For simplicity, if you are shooting macro with a TG6, you want to make sure you are using the underwater macro mode (the one with the fish icon). If you use P or A or Underwater Snapshot then the camera adjusts for the ambient light it sees, and adding a strobe will overexpose the picture. You can override the automatic exposure by forcing the camera to underexpose with -2.0 exposure compensation and the smallest possible aperture and lowest ISO. That is, for example, the Backscatter recommendation at https://www.backscatter.com/images/.../Olympus_TG-6_Settings_Guide_Macro_Strobe.pdf. If your strobe has TTL, use it. If not, shoot, evaluate, adjust the strobe power, reshoot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom