TG4 and Nikon SB 105 strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patrickweill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all,
I have been trying to use my old SB105 in slave mode with my TG 4. The strobe flashes normally , as far as I can see , but it seems to be totally out of sync with the camera, no flash lighting appears on the pictures.
Can anyone suggest a way to remedy or even to check if it is effectively out of sync ? Any reason why it should be?
Thank you
Patrick

Hello all,
I have been trying to use my old SB105 in slave mode with my TG 4. The strobe flashes normally , as far as I can see , but it seems to be totally out of sync with the camera, no flash lighting appears on the pictures.
Can anyone suggest a way to remedy or even to check if it is effectively out of sync ? Any reason why it should be?
Thank you
Patrick
TTL preflash is likely the issue. A Simple Guide to TTL Flash Photography

The SB105 as an optical slave will be triggered by the TTL preflash. It will then not be able to cycle fast enough to refire with the actual exposure. The SB105 can not be used with a camera that preflashes.

I do not know if you can disable preflash on the TG4.

I currently use two SB105's with my EM1. As these older flashes were not designed for the current pre flash technology, they can only be used when slaved from the cameras internal flash or an accessory flash as is the case with the EM1. It is important to make sure that you have turned your internal camera flash to slave mode as this disables the preflash and should sync with the SB105's. To avoid back scatter from the internal flash and to take advantage of the full potential of the SB105, it is advisable to reduce the power of the internal flash. A quick search revealed that you are able to do this with the TG4. I use my camera in full manual mode, adjusting both camera aperture and shutter speed being careful not to exceed the sync speed of the camera (1/320). While the SB105's do not have the fine power adjustments the modern flashes do, only full, 1/4 & 1/16, when used in conjunction with aperture and ISO adjustments, I have no problems in achieving correct exposure and synchronization. I have also connected the flashes to the housing via two fiber optic cables. By drilling a hole in the SB105's diffuser exactly opposite the flashes internal slave "eye" I have been able to securely attach the cable to the housing and the flash. I have seen diffuser plates that go over the cameras internal flash that allow you to do this. Finally, I would persist with trying to turn your internal flash to slave mode and ensure your shutter speed does not exceed 1/250. If you are happy to use your camera and external flash in full manual mode (as many photographers do) you should not have any syncing issues. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 122
I currently use two SB105's with my EM1. As these older flashes were not designed for the current pre flash technology, they can only be used when slaved from the cameras internal flash or an accessory flash as is the case with the EM1. It is important to make sure that you have turned your internal camera flash to slave mode as this disables the preflash and should sync with the SB105's. To avoid back scatter from the internal flash and to take advantage of the full potential of the SB105, it is advisable to reduce the power of the internal flash. A quick search revealed that you are able to do this with the TG4. I use my camera in full manual mode, adjusting both camera aperture and shutter speed being careful not to exceed the sync speed of the camera (1/320). While the SB105's do not have the fine power adjustments the modern flashes do, only full, 1/4 & 1/16, when used in conjunction with aperture and ISO adjustments, I have no problems in achieving correct exposure and synchronization. I have also connected the flashes to the housing via two fiber optic cables. By drilling a hole in the SB105's diffuser exactly opposite the flashes internal slave "eye" I have been able to securely attach the cable to the housing and the flash. I have seen diffuser plates that go over the cameras internal flash that allow you to do this. Finally, I would persist with trying to turn your internal flash to slave mode and ensure your shutter speed does not exceed 1/250. If you are happy to use your camera and external flash in full manual mode (as many photographers do) you should not have any syncing issues. Cheers.
Agree with the above (mostly...). SB105s are plentiful and cheap to replace so they are a bit compelling - they are just way too big and heavy.

To the best of my knowledge the TG4 does not provide a manual mode. So no ability to explicitly control shutter speed and aperture.

I have no idea what really happens when you put the TG4 flash into SLV mode. The manual indicates that this mode will allow you to adjust the intensity of the onboard flash. It would make sense that this is a mode that allows you to turn down the onboard flash in order to speed up recycle time and reduce onboard battery usage. But I doubt it cancels the preflash.

Maybe the OP can come back and provide additional details about the actual camera settings they have tried along with the results of each?

Thank you Nickbell and Giffenk
I have effectively managed to set the flash of the tg4 in slave mode in the menu but I also discovered that in order to get a syc I had to set it to slave in the parameters.
Again thank you so much for your help
Patrick

Thank you Nickbell and Giffenk
I have effectively managed to set the flash of the tg4 in slave mode in the menu but I also discovered that in order to get a syc I had to set it to slave in the parameters.
Again thank you so much for your help
Patrick
Thanks for the feedback as it may help some other poor soul in the future.

I do not understand what you mean by "setting it to slave in the parameters". Can you provide more details?

hello,
I mean that I have to go to : menu->Accessory settings -> Remote flash -> SLAVE
But also set the strobe to slv in the program I choose , like underwater or Micrsoscope
If I only set it in menu it does not work
I hope this explanation is clearer :)
Take care
Patrick

Back
Top Bottom