• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Tg6 First pics and questions!

Discussion in 'The Olympus Outlet' started by racerx_, Aug 1, 2020.

1. racerx_

racerx_ Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Took my tg6 for its first dive yesterday. We have pretty bad conditions locally but this is what I’ve got to show for it (after some on phone editing).

Also wondering about light position. I’m using a single handle tray and video light but seemed to have trouble getting it positioned. When it was out in front of my cam, it was hard to get the camera angle I wanted, and black background without the light being in frame. If the light was near the cam most of the time the tray made it hard to get close to stuff plus with surge keeping subjects in focus/frame was tough (spent 10minutes on that anemone shrimp and still didn’t get a great pic). The first guide I saw with a tg5 hand held it with a little light in his other hand. Is that a better option?

Tq11BJi.jpg
    Svu7qcr.jpg
    5jRRUIF.jpg
    0wXNyL8.jpg
    T31QPEd.jpg

2. jlyle

jlyle Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Nice. Lighting is tricky when shooting macro images as there's little space between the lens and the subject. Practice, practice,...

racerx_ likes this.
  3. peterak

peterak ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Contrary to the dogma that lighting always has to come from an external flash positioned well away from the lense, the TG-6's internal flash works pretty well for macro if in relatively clear water. Reduces geometric problems in tight spaces.

upload_2020-8-1_8-38-15.jpeg

Attached Files:

Bora_Horza, racerx_ and Yawana-Dive like this.
  4. deeper thoughts

deeper thoughts Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Shortly i should be upgrading to the nikon z5 or the canon sl3, that being said i will always carry the tg6 in bc pocket for macro. The camera is amazing for these pixs as evidenced by your blenny shot

racerx_ and peterak like this.
  5. White Chocolate

White Chocolate Angel Fish

I found switching from a flex arm mount to a kraken setup made a huge difference shooting stills with my video light. I can get my light close and above some pretty small things and still get light on them. You also want a lot of lumens. I use my 2500 lumen Kraken light on full power and I see why people often double up 3800 lumen lights (at least in my dark and cold home waters).

50178568228_e2c488396e.jpg
    The Sola light on there is usually on my wrist fyi.
    49956879152_c1be979a03.jpg
    49930189208_49f4cfaa24.jpg
    49785410643_7f0495039c.jpg

racerx_ and Yawana-Dive like this.
  6. racerx_

racerx_ Barracuda

Yeah I might give arm and clamp style a try. I have a tray and arms but it started getting a bit out of control. Bought a tray. Added arms. Had to get buoyancy arms to offset weight the little camera started turning in to a beast ha

7. Seaweed Doc

Seaweed Doc MSDT ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If the situation allows,. I'll disconnect the light from the arm and place it near the subject.

It helps that I have quick-connect fittings.

There are still problem shots where the built-in flash may be the only option. Eg, down a pipe.