Thai Air Baggage Allowance + Eight hour stop over in Bangkok airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's an interesting idea
I'll look at how far the city is from the airport
Actually, I think it will be the early hours of the morning that I arrive

I'll look into that ... thanks

For me, an 8 HOUR lay-over is plenty of time to go and explore. Bangkok airport has a left luggage service - so you can securely leave your heavy bags there at a small cost. Jump in a taxi and head down into Bangkok to explore, eat, drink etc.....

Thanks to you all
The problem is: wing weighs 6kg [ali plate], hold bag weighs 4kg
so that's 10g gone already
by the time I add all my wet suit layers [or drysuit] + regs [I already have Myflex] + chargers + fins it's up to 20kg
still, need mask, SMB, flip flops, moisturiser [proper stuff you don't buy from the airport] etc
I've trimmed back on everything else, and am coming in at 23kg hold bag

Do you mean you're bringing your own boost pump? If so, do you need them?

I'll be in trouble if I take a boost pump :wink:

Chargers for rechargeable batteries:
both camera's annoyingly take have different batteries
flash light battery charger
international adapter [carry on baggage, because I have four flights from the UK, three layovers]
three way sockets

I don't know why you can't charge camera batteries + light batteries within the device like you do a cell phone or via a laptop like an MP3

You have given me an idea, I'll ask my dive guide friend if I can borrow a flash light from him on the liveaboard, and my land dives I won't go in to any engine rooms so I, maybe, won't need one
That will save me taking mine ... THANKS

Do you mean you're bringing your own boost pump? If so, do you need them?

Brilliant .... where do I get one of those ?
will they think that I'm a terrorist?

How about a Photographers vest with a lot of pockets :)

Where can I get a cound down timer like you and Ben have?

Further most airlines do have a one off charge for sports gear sometimes this includes scuba gear and sometimes not.

Quite right. I once travelled to Thailand with Air France and even though my luggage was within the weight allowance (for a business class flight) of 30kg + 10 hand luggage, because they were aware it was diving equipment I was actually charged an additional 50 euro when I checked in at Charles de Gaule airport. They also stated that this charge was applicable to both legs of the journey, but upon checking in at Bangkok for my return the charge was not implemented.
I complained about this on my return and they actually forwarded me a copy of their terms and conditions which actually does state this is true! Why the contents of your bags should matter when they are within the correct weight limit is a mystery to me.

.... Why the contents of your bags should matter when they are within the correct weight limit is a mystery to me.

If I am not mistaken, the original intent of the policy was the "special handling" requirements of scuba tanks.

Always best to discuss with the airlines before booking, and when in doubt, hand carry heavy regs kits and pack light weight masks and knives, wear the dive computer and compass on our wrists, and leave the heavy fins at home!

Or maybe show up at the gate wearing mask, fins, snorkel, BCD, computer and compass, and tell the gate attendant you are just preparing for your own personal safety in case of an emergency landing over water. :D

If I am not mistaken, the original intent of the policy was the "special handling" requirements of scuba tanks.

Always best to discuss with the airlines before booking, and when in doubt, hand carry heavy regs kits and pack light weight masks and knives, wear the dive computer and compass on our wrists, and leave the heavy fins at home!

Or maybe show up at the gate wearing mask, fins, snorkel, BCD, computer and compass, and tell the gate attendant you are just preparing for your own personal safety in case of an emergency landing over water. :D

Or simply dont fly with Air France again.
I forget the exact figures but I was significantly under my allowance and everything was in one bag, no tanks or anything else that required special treatment.
Simply just because I had a dive bag that contained dive equipment 50 euro or you cant check it in. Such a great way to promote flights to a dive destination???

The "diving community" should probably have a web page or on-line spreadsheet that has a table of airlines and their policies effecting recreational scuba divers.

Quite right. I once travelled to Thailand with Air France and even though my luggage was within the weight allowance (for a business class flight) of 30kg + 10 hand luggage, because they were aware it was diving equipment I was actually charged an additional 50 euro when I checked in at Charles de Gaule airport. They also stated that this charge was applicable to both legs of the journey, but upon checking in at Bangkok for my return the charge was not implemented.
I complained about this on my return and they actually forwarded me a copy of their terms and conditions which actually does state this is true! Why the contents of your bags should matter when they are within the correct weight limit is a mystery to me.

French..............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom