Thai/Malaysia border

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off Koh Lanta (Hin Muang/Daeng). I thought they were the best dives in Thai waters (better than Richeleau). Also, the five islands slightly north of there also nice.

I would call Hin Daeng/Muang off Koh Lanta - my friend stayed there at Christmas and she said it was a 3hour plus boat ride to those sites.

I dived them on a liveaboard out of Phuket and they are good but I would not rate them as high as Richilieu or Similians - just my opinion

Jonathan

Hin Daeng/Muang aren't really near anything, but are in Koh Lanta National Marine Park. They are, however, closer to Lanta than Phi Phi and the drive via speed boat from Phi Phi is 90-120 minutes depending on surface conditions.

I am in a minority of tourists that don't prefer the Similans over these sites. But, my last liveaboard to the Similans was somewhat discouraging, although I will agree that there are some awesome sites there.

The first time I ever dove Richelue it was amazing, but, by noon that day there were 4 boats moored and two waiting for a mouring... it was just too crowded (December, 2000)

What liveaboard went there? Moskito was the only one I could find and they cancelled the two day trip when I was there because not enough people (I think four of us signed up).

get me in one of those speed boats - let me see 90 minutes of rattling iaround in one of those things doing 20+ knots - not a chance!

I think the best way is to go via live aboard then you can do them all - I would not want to do any of them as a day trip in a speed boat.

BTW when we were at Hing Daeng/Muang in December there were 3 liveaboards there, two or three large day trip boats (I think 3 hours out of Koh Lanta) and about 4 or 5 of the speed boats. We journied there over night and were the first on site by about two hours so it was only our third dive when we had some company.

Jonathan

But, when I first visited Phi Phi I just had done my OW cert, so the liveaboard that was heading there was a little over our heads, plus we were doing a 6 day Similan/Surin trip. The last time I was there (twice in a 5 week period) was Oct/Nov the diving conditions weren't that great (we ended up in Cambodia/Viet Nam as a result) and the only option was speed boat. I got back to Phi Phi after 5 days of diving in the Similans with Paul Lees (author of The Dive Sites of Thailand) and I just had to go. The guy I was travelling with headed up to Koh Sok NP.

Jonathan makes a good point about the horribly bumpy ride in the "fast boats". Several years ago I flew into Koh Samui and was going to Koh Tao - there are two options; a very slow ferry for 200Baht or the fast speed boats for 800Baht.

At first glance, the fast boats seem the way to go as they reduce the travelling time. But the local Mae Nam (Koh Samui) bungalow owner where I stayed at cautioned me that while the waters I could see from shore appeared calm, they are indeed rough beyond the protected bay, especially in the fast boats.

Further cautioning me, it was said that the fast speed boat pilots play a game with tourists on this bumpy ride called "how long does it take to make a tourist puke?"

I just came back from an awesome 10-day liveaboard on the Viking of the Orient. We visited both HinDaeng/Muang and Richelieu (and the Similans of course). Whalesharks at both sites :D

I was impressed by Hin Daeng/Muang. Not only because of the whaleshark whose official name btw is 'Kalle'. I saw one Phi Phi speedboat there that left after lunch. I agree with Jonathan, to go that far , and back, on a speedboat is not a pleasure.

Joining us next year Jonathan?

Back
Top Bottom