Thailand Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off the boat for a day and a half before beginning the Southern Trip. Very short preface: I have done 3 previous Agressors and several other live aboards including Fiji, Australia, Truk, PNG, The Soloman Islands, Palau, Guam, the Carribean, and Yap. Started diving in 1963. Not the most traveled diver in the world, but have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.

THE BOAT
We had about 14 divers on board for the Northern route. The boat was comfortably outfitted and everything worked as it should. the marine toilets looked new and functioned flawlessly. The cabins were neat, clean, adequately furnished, comfortable and perfectly serviceable. Not luxurious, but the racks were comfortable and the towels changed every day. Every cabin had its own head with a toilet and shower. During the trip a pipe broke in the overhead raining water into the hallway ind putting water into a few of the cabins. Within 1/2 hour the crew had the situation stabilized and the water cleaned up. The mishap did not affect the operation of the boat or the comfort of the divers in any fashion. Every cabin had its own independently operated air conditioning system which performed flawlessly during the week. The dining room was nicely laid out with comfortable couch like seats, tables, and some chairs. There was a sun deck where you could get a second degree burn if that was what tripped your trigger. The dive deck was well laid out and functional. I heard no complaints relating to the camera table, charging station, or dive deck. Entry was most often off the dive platform, although for one location we rolled off the skiffs. Return to the boat was always by skiff. More on that later.

Unlimited nitrox was available for an added $100 USD. The mix provided was a very constant 32-34%. When you first come on board and are setting up your gear they make sure you have a safety sausage and give you one if you do not. They issue you a Lifeline GPS/vHF Radio set to marine channel 16 and 69 for no charge. If you are not familiar with the equipment take a look at it on the Internet. Every diver who goes out to sea should have one. Kudos to the Aggressor for issuing one to each guest.

One slightly annoying quirk regarding the stability of the boat: even in calm seas, the boat had a tndancy to roll with just the most gentle of beam seas or slight variable breezes. I'm not a naval archetect, I don't play one on TV, and I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately, but I think that she is a little top heavy and the keel may be too deep a V shape so that she rolls in response to environmental conditions that should not induce the roll. It got pretty uncomfortable twice during the voyage.

THE FOOD
Breakfast was your choice of freshly cooked eggs, pancakes, French toast, bacon, ham, juice, coffee, milk, toast, cereal, etc. etc. All you wanted to eat. Quality of breakfast was ok, not great, but ok. Lunches were usually several prepared dishes of westernized Thai food. Not particularly good and usually cold by the time the lunch bell was rung. You served yourself lunch. Dinner was served by the crew, and the food, though plentiful, was not particularly good and was always lukewarm at best. you don't go away sick or hungry, but if you take the trip, you will not be talking about the great food. My description would be "disappointing". My opinion was shared by most of the guests,although some were considerably more critical than I. Personally, on a liveaboard, if the food doesn't make me sick, is edible, and in sufficient quantity, I'm disappointed, but not demanding an adjustment. The food should be really good, as it has been on other boats I've been on, but if it's not,and the diving is good, I'm OK with that. It's about the diving.

THE CREW
On board the boat you cold not ask for a more attentive, want to help you and get you anything you need group of people. The captain was often on the dive platform helping to launch the divers safely. They put your fins on for you and other than to analyze your gas mix if you were diving Nitrox, check you tank fill, and do safety checks of your gear, you never touched it once after you did the initial set up. Concierge diving at its best. In fact,to me, and this may just be my cranky ass talking, it actually got a little annoying when I was stowing some gear after a dive and the crew was unzipping my wetsuit and "helping" me off with it when I was not expecting it. Really crew, I appreciate your intentions, but I can undress myself! But...like I said, they were just trying to be as helpful as possible so criticism would be unfair. HOWEVER once in the water, it was a different story. The dive masters spent more time taking photographs of each other, and finding the little critters for themselves than they did diving with the guests and finding cool stuff for us to see and photograph. Sure, they did the diver "round up" towards what they figured ws the end of the dive if you wanted to ascend with them, but, thankfully, they let you dive your own profile if you wanted to, and they saw that you were a safe, competent diver. All of that said, they have dived the spots many times before and should know where the macro lens wildlife was hiding out so they should have guided the guests to the good spots.

THE DIVE PROCEDURE
Every dive was more or less a drft dive. Enter the water, do your dive, while at your safety stop, if alone with your buddy, deploy your sausage. After your 3 or 4 minutes, come to the surface and wait for one of the two skiffs to pick you up. Easiest and preferred method is to remove your weight belt or weight pouches and hand them up to the skiff driver. Then remove your gear and the skiff driver will drag it up and into the skiff. Remove your fins, hand them up to the skiff driver, and then climb up the ladder and into the skiff. Sounds complicated but it's really quite easy after you do it once or twice and only takes a minute.

THE DIVING
i know...this part should have come first but it's a little tough to write. For the most part it sucked rotten eggs. Boulders, dead coral, very little marine life, after a few days the guests, including this one, were getting really pissed off. "Pearl of the Andaman Sea" our collective asses! We all had pretty much composed in our heads the letters to Wayne and Wayne, and Anne demanding refunds and threatening complaints to every consumer protection agency we could think of regarding false advertising! Social Media sights such as Scuba Board were also identified as places to air how genuinely unhappy we were about the piss poor diving. Collectively we agreed that we had been scammed by false advertising. Then we dove a sight called Raichle Rock that was gorgeous. In a way it made things even worse because we agreed that all of the diving should have been like that. Beautiful soft corals, hard corals, macro animals galore, shrimp, crabs, banded sea snakes, even a hawks bill that was more than happy to hang out munching on coral while we took pictures and visited. Dove that site twice and moved on as we made our way back towards Phuket. Then we dived a place called "Elephant Head Rocks". Of course we all laughed sarcastically, more freaken ROCKS, but what the heck, in we went, down we went, and as my buddy and I looked around, here it came, a whale shark. thermocline had brought up some cold water and the most majestic animal I had ever seen in its natural environment. It was not a gigantic animal, maybe 6 to 7 meters long, but simply magnificent. My dive buddy who I met on the boat, Greg Piper, a very talented photographer, Greg Piper Art got some great shots as it moved off. Later in that dive we saw what we think was a second whale shark, although the viz had deteriorated and it is possible that it was the same animal circling the dive site. Obviously we insisted on remaining at that site for a second dive and yes, the whale shark(s)? were still there for us. The next couple of dives as we made our way back south to Phuket were better, by comparison, then the dives earlier that week, but definitely not worth traveling half way around the world to see.

SUMMARY
The boat was fine, the crew, great on board, not great as dive guides, food was mediocre, diving pretty much sucked, but we saw whale sharks so that was worth the price of the Northern Trip. That said, since the diving would have been a disaster and I definitely would have demanded a full refund if the whale sharks had not appeared, I would not recommend the Thailand Aggressor Northern Route. Tomorrow Greg and I rebord the boat for the Southern route. There were several people on board who had done that trip who spoke very highly of it. I will report back on the diving when we get back. I expect the boat, food, and crew to be the same.

Last edited:
Silver Knife, thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review! I hope the diving on Southern trip gets better for you. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Great review Silver Knife!! I have been considering a dive with Thailand Aggressor or Diva Andaman in the Northern part too. And your review helped ma a lot with my decision. I actually dove Richelieu Rock in the past but via land (from Khao Lak). I wasn't terribly impressed but it was a nice dive site. I thought/hoped the liveaboard would take me to better spots without tons of divers around (all the day-boats made Richelieu Rock quite packed the days I was there). But hearing your review, I think I'm gonna pass on my attempt to dive Richelieu Rock again. Although should I do it - I think Diva Andaman is going to be my choice (I don't like a dive boat with poor food).

Silver knife:
I am waiting for your assessment with baited breath. They are holding our slots on the Aggressor until Nov 11 and your report will help me decide whether to keep them.

Doc, I won't be back until the 16th and probably not able to post until a couple of days later. The southern route for the trip launching tonight, 11/10, has a grand total of 6 divers. They ran a " buy one get one free" to try to fill the boat but no takers. I would be a little suspicious of a claim that the boat is full for the trip you are considering, but I did not ask the other guests who were on the southern route before doing the north whether the boat was full. There was one unfilled rack on the North trip just ended.

Shane, there were day boats and other live aboards at many of the dive sites we visited but not enough of them to be annoying.

Back from the south Andaman Sea aboard the Thailand Aggressor.

It was better diving by far than the northern trip but still not world class. The six divers on board enjoyed it. However, the consensus was that there is better diving to be had in places that are less troublesome to travel to. I have not been to Indonesia, but those on board that had been said that the diving was far better there. Same with Palau, and having been there I agreed on that score. PNG, the Solomons, the Maldives, all got better reviews than the south Andaman Sea. There was certainly some macro to see and shoot, sea horses, soft corals, and so on, but just not worth the effort or the price of admission. There were Lots of eels, large and small, but no large fish to be seen anywhere which may be explained by the flotillas of fishing boats that appeared to be everwhere. We did not see one shark on either trip with the exception of a white tip reef shark that one of the divers saw in the distance. The viz was quite limited during several dives as well.

At several sites, hordes of amphibious sea rectums we're encountered. For those not familiar with the species, sea rectums are a species of air breathing, land dwelling, homonids that populate cattle boats in popular dive sites and who generally have little,if any, dive trainIng or experience, descending into and onto dive sites within range of day trips with great abandon and exuberance, utilizing their fins, arms, and hands, as rotary wings, and lacking the skill and motivation to exercise even a modicum of buoyancy control or dive manners. Sea rectum infestation was encountered at 2 or 3 dive sites and did nothing to add to the enjoyment of the diving.

If Phuket is two or three hours away from your home, the south Andaman portion of the Thailand Aggressor destination might be something to consider. If that is not the case, you might want to consider alternative destinations.

The boat itself was fine, the crew on board was attentive and helpful, the food was better than on the north leg, perhaps because there were only 6 divers aboard, but it still was not great, and the dive masters, with two notable exceptions, really need to understand that their role underwater is to help the guests find the little stuff that we like to see and photograph.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Amphibious Sea Rectums.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

It was better diving by far than the northern trip but still not world class.
As a dive shop and liveaboard agent I am glad the Aggressor came to the area, they are opening a new market. Unfortunately they, and that includes boat crew, dive staff and management, really don't know the diving area and are not delivering the quality they could.

We dived the Similans , Ko Lanta , Ko Phi Phi in early 2009 , again at Christmas 2009 and Christmas 2010. Each time there were fewer fish , more and more dead coral and more fishing boats than on the previous trips. There was a coral bleaching in mid 2010 that seems to have completely thrashed the reefs we saw. It was our personal opinion that lndonesia , Malaysia and the Philippines have far far better diving that Thailand. The difference between how the Malaysian government manages Sipadan and how the Similans is managed is startling.

I love Thailand , the food , the people , the jungle areas and the north ...but the dive sites need some serious protection ASAP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom