Thailand diving video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miket

Reaction score
This last November my buddy James and I did a 6-day liveaboard to the Similan Islands in Thailand.

Diving in 80-84f water was quite a change from what I am used to here.

The diving was spectacular. This was fimed at just one dive site (East of Eden). Overall I shot 5.5 hours of video during the trip.

This was shot with a Panasonic GS-400 in an Ocean Images Inc housing. I used no lights on this dive, just manual white balance.

One other Thailand video (of Clownfish) is at my site:
http://www.socaldivevideos.com

Enjoy...
MikeT

ooooo. I'm so excited. I'm going there in March. I gotta run out now but as soon as I get back, I'm watching all of them and telling my buddies who are going with me about these. THANK YOU!!!

OK, I'm back and watched it. Nice video. I didn't realize the clownfish were so hyper. I hope I get a decent shot with my still camera.

awesome videos.... what's RIG are you using? it's amazing (and delightful) to see the new growth on those hard corals

couple of questions...

do you CC in post production or WB U/W? the colours are gorgeous - ie: are the reddish fish in the CarWasher (ps: this would totally freak me out!!!!) the same orange girabaldi?

my $0.02

turn down the 'bubbles' on the thialand vids.... they're a bit overpowering.

did that nudibranch JUMP into your buddies hand? tsk tsk tsk.....

Thanks.

It's a Panasonic GS400 (3 chip mini DV) in an Ocean Images, Inc. housing.

I use the manual white balance underwater to get the color, there are still times where it is color corrected, usually just adding a dash of red back into it. California video sometimes I have to remove some green as well as the hue of the water gets pretty green.

I still need more practice using the manual controls on the rig.

The bright red-orange fish are Garibaldi in the crazy Kelp video (diving in it was fun for a while, but I started to feel sick so my buddy and I found a way deeper and off the crest).

What do you mean about the "same" garibaldi? Probably not, as they are everywhere out here.

Thanks for checking the videos out...

MikeT

Hi Mike

I really enjoyed the video. We were there just last August so it brought back a lot of great memories!! You did have a lot better vis than we did, although we went in their offseason so that was our fault!

Thanks for sharing:)

fairybasslet:
ooooo. I'm so excited. I'm going there in March. I gotta run out now but as soon as I get back, I'm watching all of them and telling my buddies who are going with me about these. THANK YOU!!!

OK, I'm back and watched it. Nice video. I didn't realize the clownfish were so hyper. I hope I get a decent shot with my still camera.
The clownfish were totally hyper, if you have a good flash or strobe you should be able to get a shot with a still camera, they don't stay still at all so it's kind of hit or miss.

- MikeT

nice video. You even got a shot of the damaged gorgonian fan we also saw at East of Eden over new years! :wink:

BTW, you've got the same camera and housing as my buddy. Nice setup! He seems to like it a lot. He brought it along on our Similan trip and got some good footage. Still trying to get his light attached to the housing though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom