Thailand visa advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're willing, you may not even have to leave the country. There are "travel agents" who take multiple passports across the border and back everyday. You take a chance but surprisingly, it's relatively secure. You may even get a receipt.
Don't ever do that. First of all it is illegal, second, there are lots of scams going on, with fake stamps etc. Simply invest 1 day and do visaruns yourself.

jiveturkey:
If you're willing, you may not even have to leave the country. There are "travel agents" who take multiple passports across the border and back everyday. You take a chance but surprisingly, it's relatively secure. You may even get a receipt.

Absolutely do not do this - it is not relatively secure! As Stevenl says invest in a day to keep legal.

He said he doesnt' plan on it at this point, but if he ends up taking a job, it won't be legal without a proper work visa. A proper visa is the best way to go. However, I'd guess that 95% of the foreign dive staff in SEA don't have acutal work visas. Crossing the border every 30 days and coming back in doesn't make working in the country legal.

Either way, I'm not suggesting he do anything. I'm just saying that some people do this. And while there may be scams out there, I know that many dive shops have "a guy" who does this. In many cases, he has been doing this for years. He may bolt with your passport but chances are that if the shop owner trusts him, you can too.

My suggestion is not to worry about it. Yes, you can leave and come back as many times as you want. Go, talk to people and pretend you're in Rome.

No, I'm not planning on doing this... For now, I'll get a 3x60 days visum.
Pls. don't tear each others hairs out over this :wink:

Not sure I'm too fond of Rome, but will certainly make sure I have a good time... If ever a situtation comes and I would end up working in Thailand, one way or the other, I'm sure a good solutions comes for this...

Cheers,
Job

Quero:
Don't waste time with the consulate. Just come here and talk to people. After one or two months you'll work out what the best visa option for you involves.

I know people who have been here for 20 years and still go out (or send their passports out) every 28 days for the visa run. The visa run business is an entire industry here. And the system is labyrinthine! I just got my 1-year visa last month (and it's valid for only eight months because my first visa application was four months before the approval date). It's amazing to me that this visa is only good for one entry unless I buy a secondary multiple entry visa allowing me to go out and come back in without re-applying. In addition, I had to buy secondary visas to use with each of the other, temporary, visa extensions I was being given while my one-year application was being considered. Confused? I suspect that only the paralegals who mediate between visa seekers and the immigration department really know how to navigate the system in an efficient way. Part of that knowledge consists of knowing how and when to do small favors, such as offering tea money.

So, let me get this straight....you are there on a tourist visa and working? Isn't this illegal? It seems that is the norm for EXPATS working in ASIA.....and makes foreigners look bad in the eyes of the nationals. Taking jobs and working illegally doubles the "BAD" factor. Food for thought.

stevenl:
Here on Phuket I would guess 95% does have a proper work permit. Without workpermit, there are nearly no jobs here, as simple as that.

Maybe things have changed. It's good to hear actually. It'll allow more positions to open up for Thais.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom