Thanks for the Imput

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LadyIce

Reaction score
Hi All

Thanks to all for your imput. I know that the more I learn in class the better it will be for the real dives. I was just wanting to get others opion on what their classes were like. I had the choice to do the crash weekend course and opted not to go that route, even though I was told they all teach the same thing etc. When I was in class last week I was sitting there thinking how the H____ can you possibly learn all this in a weekend. I'm glad I took this course even though its a little tougher. The only thing that I'm having trouble with thus far is the 50-60 foot underwater swim un-aided with anything.But still working on that (I was about 8 feet short last time)Alot easier to hold your breath above water.

Thanks
LadyIce

Hey LadyIce, I'm glad you are almost through it. A tip that our instructor gave us for the underwater swim is to swallow hard when you think that you can't hold it another second. It worked for me & another student who had trouble with that skill. The other skill that took me a while to get was the one where you drop your mask at the deep end of the pool, then you have to swim 25' under water (w/ fins) to retrieve it, then clear it and the snorkel all on one breath. It's totally do-able as long as you don't try to rush through it.

My own personal tip for you is to visualize yourself doing the skill whenever you have a second to daydream. Sounds corny, but if you close your eyes and go through the whole thing calmly in your head it will be a lot easier the next time you do it in the pool.

I'd say good luck, but luck has nothing to do with it :) It's all you babe! Just Do It.

-kate

Welcome to the boards.I read the other thread and agree with the others.The more training the better.Even us instructors are learning all the time.I use the same technique as Kat has mentioned.Just practice,practice,practice.By the way..was that 'hell' or 'heck' you were trying to say?I personally find heck and hell very offensive and don't like seeing anyone use heck or hell on the boards.I reiterate...do not use HECK or HELL again...heheheh
Cheers Big Ears,

LadyIce.... I've been using that last breath swallow trick since I was a kid - I taught it to myself, believing that I could swallow more air... never knew it was taught in OW class! Cool.

Greg... you are a little sh1t stirrer aren't you? :p

What the hell... it's all in jest.
Cheers 'ears

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom