The Altitude Rule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mountainturtle

Registered
Reaction score
I live at an altitude of about 1000m (ca. 3000 ft). Generally I wait 12 hrs after diving before driving home. This was what was recommended to me by my dive instructor but I find it pretty inconvenient since I have limited spare time anyway, and don't like to waste it waiting around. However, others have said that it is not nessecary to wait that long, and if I dive in the morning it is ok to come home at night. I did this yesterday after a pretty easy dive and a 5hr wait and have had no side effects, but what is the minimum time that I should wait before ascending to this altitude?

Mountainturtle

I wouldn't think a drive to 3000' would require much of a delay at all - the pressure drop is equivalent to about three feet of water, and the "ascent rate" of a drive to that altitude is pretty slow, even on a steep road.
My personal "back pocket" number for flying after diving is 4000' - which I consider ultra conservative - the standard wait periods that DAN and others are working on are based on the rapid ascent to the 8000' cabin altitude of commercial airliners.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom