"The Anchor!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
A few days ago in the OOA thread Popeye mentioned finding an anchor and tucking it into his waist band.

Today Shane and I found one I doubt even Popeye could get in his waist band.

We found "The Anchor!"

Scootering down a gulley at 150' we were just about to round a corner and head back north away from the ferry landing overhead. There in the sand was "The Anchor!" complete with about 20' of chain... each link being about 6" long.

We are guessing that "The Anchor!" itself weights ~1000lbs not counting the chain.

Of course we could be off in this estimate... in either direction... so the next step is to go back and take measurements as well as send up a buoy so we can see just how close we are to the ferry lane.

Then we need to figure out just how to *stuff it in our waist band* and swim off with it.

Stay tuned.

If that's accurate you found a SHIP anchor Pug, not a "boat" anchor.

My 45' Sportfish, which grosses 25 tons, uses 3/8 BBB, just for comparison!

Me thinks you need some BIG lift bags and a crane on the boat end to get it back inside the gunnels once you get it to the surface.

Be very, very careful recovering that thing.

It will make a gorgeous lawn ornament though if you DO manage to retrieve it!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

[snip]

[...]the next step is to go back and take measurements as well as send up a buoy so we can see just how close we are to the ferry lane.

Then we need to figure out just how to *stuff it in our waist band* and swim off with it.

Stay tuned.
Will you let us know when you're going to be bringing it up, so we can come watch? :) That would be something to see...

Jimmie

A few days ago in the OOA thread Popeye mentioned finding an anchor and tucking it into his waist band.

Today Shane and I found one I doubt even Popeye could get in his waist band.

We found "The Anchor!"

Scootering down a gulley at 150' we were just about to round a corner and head back north away from the ferry landing overhead. There in the sand was "The Anchor!" complete with about 20' of chain... each link being about 6" long.

We are guessing that "The Anchor!" itself weights ~1000lbs not counting the chain.

Of course we could be off in this estimate... in either direction... so the next step is to go back and take measurements as well as send up a buoy so we can see just how close we are to the ferry lane.

Stay tuned.

I don't think my #60 BC is up for this one, Pug. :)

Or the spool and lift bag.... :)

How far is it from shore?

How "buried" is the anchor?

Is there a commercial dive operator that would rent you a larger lift bag?

Failing that, do you have access to plastic 55 gallon drums?

Popeye once bubbled...
Is there a commercial dive operator that would rent you a larger lift bag? Failing that, do you have access to plastic 55 gallon drums?
Well we have drums and could probably rent a salvage bag... but then we also have Uncle Pug (the boat) and I'm thinking our plan will be to float and tow... but I'm still thinkin'.

It is a ship's anchor and isn't buried.

Well we have drums and could probably rent a salvage bag... but then we also have Uncle Pug (the boat) and I'm thinking our plan will be to float and tow... but I'm still thinkin'.

It is a ship's anchor and isn't buried.

How close to shore? You mentioned a ferry dock.

e-mail if it's classified. Buzcutt454@aol.com

I mean, if the anchor has "Proud Spaniard" inscribed on it, can the owners of that ship come and claim it? I've heard of salvage rules, etc... but don't know about this stuff.

Is it complicated (reports filed, keep away for 60 days, etc.) or is it just a big ol' finder-keepers thing?

If it's the latter, jeeze - ther ehas to be a whole flotilla of "ambulance chasers" out there reading the papers and pouncing on ships that went down in the harbor in the storm last night and pulling off the stainless and rooting through the drawers, grabbing the sails, etc.

Where do the insurance companies come in? Is some marshall anchored over the wreck of the $20 million yachtzilla with a shot gun to keep away the grave robbers until he can float some of the valuables?

Sounds like an interesting pursuit...

Ken

I'll be interested in hearing how this escapade goes. We have a lead on a pair of anchors ourselves, but the guy with the exact co-ordinates doesnt want to do anything about it til sometime this summer.

Sounds like a very nice find.

Lots of divers around here have huge anchors displayed on their lawns, like this one found by some well-known MA divers: http://www.wreckhunter.net/delaware1-tm.jpg

In general for large anchors people try to have a commerical fisherman bring in their dragger and haul it on board, but, for smaller anchors and smaller boats, the float and tow tech is a pretty good method.

Good luck

Stockless Anchors using that could be 1000 to 20,000 pounds, with a 5,000 to 10,000 pound weight being most common.

You'll need to find a fresh water location to store it in for a couple years to leach the salt out of it if it's been down for any length of time. Application of an electric field will help speed the leaching process.

A 55 GAl Drum provides about 400# of net lift after rigging hardware is deducted. For a big lift the use of multiple drums or bags sequentially filled provides for a safer lift than a single big bag. Full bags don't change lift on the way up like a partially filled one does, so the buoyancy change is limited to the reserve capacity of the last item filled.

Back
Top Bottom