The Bends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No troll...it really happened to me. It's an experience I'll never forget and am very grateful that I lived to tell the story.

... so are we, D3 ... best wishes on your upcoming scuba class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I thought it might be a troll too; not exactly a troll, but a gag of some sort. It sounds too idiotic to believe. To the OP, if you're being serious, was this a "discover scuba" course that you paid for or just a fun (illegal, but fun) dive with a "friend."

PADI DMs are not certified to teach the discover scuba unless they take some extra training (if I remember).

You never really know how accurate the description is. It could have been the DM actually deflated the guy's BC and he still corked. Unlikely, but again, none of us were there and the description is pretty bizarre. 60ft on a discover scuba is totally inexcusable, though.

The dive was in the late 80s in Puerto Vallarta and the "dive company" was some guy advertising "scuba lessons" at the hotel pool. I was so psyched to be doing something I'd always dreamed of doing. I signed up and took the "lesson" then off we went in what looked like a modified row boat. The 60 ft. depth was what the other couple with us put in their log books and told me we'd gone to. Who knows, it could have been more or less??

Anyway, I'll never forget that shooting ascent because it was really fun and made my ears feel better...pop pop pop all the way up. I knew nothing about diving and relied on the DM for his "expertise" to help me with my first dive.

I've done lots of stupid things in my life and somehow lived to tell the stories. It's the lessons learned that make us all go, "crap, I'll never do that again without proper training." :cool2:

-Diane

... so are we, D3 ... best wishes on your upcoming scuba class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks, Bob. I've pretty much lived my life based on the "rules" in your siggy. :cool2:

Between your Puerto Vallarta experience and your Maui experience I would suggest you look around for a good Dive Instructor. Your luck hasn't been that great.:depressed:

Between your Puerto Vallarta experience and your Maui experience I would suggest you look around for a good Dive Instructor. Your luck hasn't been that great.:depressed:

I have to disagree about my luck....I've been VERY lucky because I'm still alive and well. It's my common sense that's been lacking. :)

Well get certified and have some fun. Happy Diving DizzyDallasDi.

Greetings Dizzy and thank you for sharing your story here in the New Diving Forum.
I and many others are very happy to have you here to tell of your experience. It is even better to know that this dive experience did not scare you away form diving.
As you go through the certification process you will become aware of the risks and dangerous results from rapid ascents. This is to be taken very serious and steps taken to prevent it from taking place again.

I am fully confident that one with your desire will become a very good diver. It is of utmost importance that you study, research and master your OW / 18 basic skills these will serve you well for a lifetime! Never take them for granted and good divers are refined by gradually gaining training and dive experience that never exceeds their training and comfort level. YOU CAN CALL A DIVE ANYTIME FOR ANY REASON!
Never allow someone to push you into anything you are not comfortable with.

Have fun and enjoy your training. I think you will be awesome!
Cam G Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

After reading comments since this post started, some additional observation:
- making an adjustment to a BC just before rapid ascent should have been unnecessary if buoyancy was under control to begin with. Recall in training we never tell students to put air in the BC to begin an ascent.
- rapid ascent from any depth (60 ft or 15 ft) is not a wise choice; fortunately the outcome in this case did not appear serious.
- additional shame goes to the DM in this case for even leaving the student to wonder if all this event was a normal dive and having to post about it on a scuba board.

My chest hurts just reading the OPs question. I seriously think we've been trolled because I just can't see a dive professional doing something like that. But if not, that DM should be decertified and have some other nasty things done to him that should not be mentioned here. If your account is true, you could have died on the spot from ruptured lungs.

Back
Top Bottom