The Best Dive Mags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peter

Reaction score
What are some of the better dive mags in your part of the world. I subscribe to SPORT DIVING and SCUBA DIVER. Not wanting to sound an add for them but I find they have more articles and less advertising than some of the others. The people who bring out S/Diving also have a paper called DIVE LOG AUSTRALASIA. This one is free at most dive stores.

This is one of their web sites

www.divetheblue.net

Hi Peter,

My first recommendation is "Undercurrent" --
http://www.undercurrent.org

It accepts no advertising whatsoever, and is therefore free to review gear, dive ops, resorts, etc., without fear of sponsor repercussion.

Plus, it reviews a broad range of dive venues, from the common, e.g., Cozumel & the Bahamas, to the unusual, e.g., Komodo Islands & Wakatobi in the Tukang Besis.

Finally, its annual "Travelin' Diver's Chap Book," 500+ pages of late, provides 100s of subscriber reviews of dive ops, resorts & live-aboards around the world. Some divers would not dream of going to a new location without first checking this tome.

Another good mag over here is "Dive Training"-- http://www.dtmag.com. Billed as "diving's education-based magazine for new divers, their instructors and those who own and operate dive centers," I find it almost always interesting & informative.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Hello,

Dive training is good. Undercurrents is good as well! My favorite is oceans illustrated and ocean realm, then dive international. I'm in the us and I do photography so these 2 mags (ocean illustrated and realm) is about the top of the food chain worldwide.

Ed

Originally posted by DocVikingo
Hi Peter,

My first recommendation is "Undercurrent" --
http://www.undercurrent.org

It accepts no advertising whatsoever, and is therefore free to review gear, dive ops, resorts, etc., without fear of sponsor repercussion.

Plus, it reviews a broad range of dive venues, from the common, e.g., Cozumel & the Bahamas, to the unusual, e.g., Komodo Islands & Wakatobi in the Tukang Besis.

Finally, its annual "Travelin' Diver's Chap Book," 500+ pages of late, provides 100s of subscriber reviews of dive ops, resorts & live-aboards around the world. Some divers would not dream of going to a new location without first checking this tome.

Another good mag over here is "Dive Training"-- http://www.dtmag.com. Billed as "diving's education-based magazine for new divers, their instructors and those who own and operate dive centers," I find it almost always interesting & informative.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Me too!
Rick

At the risk of being another 'me too', I agree with Doc V and Rick. I subscribe to "Undercurrent" and "Dive Training" and can recommend both.

Both are interesting reads with information you can use.

Enjoy,
Warren

I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

I love Dive Training for helpful skills and gear articles.

I enjoy "Alert Diver" from DAN for medical and skill articles.

Rodale's has good travel information and gear reviews, although their gear choices are somewhat selective (i.e., not all manufacturers are included).

Skin Diver is pretty pictures and exotic travel location reports.

Immersed is interesting for tech diving subjects.

in no particular order:

Dive Training

Advanced Diver Magazine

Immersed

Dive (caters to the Brits so you need to become accustomed to
reading about "kit", liters, kgs, kms, etc.)

Rodales has good equipment reviews but assumes that most
divers are warm-water-vacation-types. I do enjoy reading the
"lessons" column.

DIRQuest (avaliable from GUE)

Hello,

I stoped immersed when they had the drug issue that was wrong. They listed some bad/incorrect data and when I contacted the sources they told me some of the studies never happened and it was 'speculation'.

I seriously doubt that rodales is 'neutral' on gear review.

Always be careful what you read in a mag and always verify it before trusting the data.

Ed

it is extremely unlikely that ANY magazine accepting advertising
$$$ is completely objective.

Dive Training is one of the better mags because it contains
articles about diving locations that are not blessed with warm
water, bright fish and 100 ft visibility.

G_M

ps. don't use colored #18 TWISTED line. too thin. ;-)

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi
ps. don't use colored #18 TWISTED line. too thin. ;-)

Normally I only relate what I do, and leave the "you shouldn't's" to others. There are exceptions, and this is one. I agree completely with G_M here.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom