The best instruction in Kentucky?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeneL74

New
Reaction score
My family and I just took a vacation to Destin, Florida and while we were down there my brother and I went through a very basic Discover Scuba dive program..... We really enjoyed the course, and the short dive, and now we would both like to become certified.....

My absolute number one priority in seeking instruction is safety..... I have a wife and children and I do not want to end up becoming a statistic.... I want the best instruction that is available to me.....

I have been looking online, and the only place I have checked out so far is www.louisvillescubadive.com . Everything on their site sounds okay, but I would like some unbiased opinions. Louisville would be a lot more convenient for me, but again, if there is better instructors elsewhere in the state, that would be just fine as well.....

Another thing I noticed on the Louisville dive shop site is the course schedules..... The weekday classes are not an option for me, and the "weekend scuba" program said something about there being less "classroom" work involved.... Like I said, I want all the instruction I can get, and I am wondering if the "less classroom work" can possibly be a good thing? Would private one-on-one training be a better alternative?

Also, just one more thing....

About thirteen years ago (I was fifteen years old at the time), I was involved in an accident in which I suffered some internal injuries and a collapsed lung.... Shortly after the operation I was given a full 100% recovery, and told that I was in no way limited in my future activities.... Since then I have flown in airplanes, and done numerous other things without complication, but I think a complete physical would be appropriate (probably necessary).

Would a physical from my regular physician be okay, or should I go see a doctor that specializes in that area.... If so, would anyone have any idea where one could locate this type of doctor in Kentucky?

Many thanks in advance for your time and help!

Regards,

Gene

And after you get those classes out of the way and are edumacated. You can dive with us. JBD and I do alot of diving in KY. Alot of which is near Louisville in LaGrange.

The advise given to you by JBD was right on target, as usual, but I will add the instructor is more important than the Agency. Interview the instructors, read the coarse books and make sure they cover everything in there during the class.

I can't recommend any specific instructor in Louisville, but, I haven't heard any bad reports about any. So do a little homework in your decision and you will be fine.

Also read this board. You will pick up on alot of the material that you will need to know and thus be better prepared to evaluate instructors as you make your choice.

Dive Safe.

Chad

I think you have the right idea about "less classroom work" being a little shakey for a guy who really wants to learn solidly. There is a huge market for courses that get students "certified" in time for their plane taking off to the Bahamas next Wed. That market does get catered to. The instructors do the absolute best they can in the time they have. Open Water classes, therefore often prepare a student to dive with a guide or only under idea conditions. IDEAL is never guaranteed by God, so that's where the additional time to instill knowledge (both in the brain & the muscles of the body) pays off.

Do you have a local YMCA that offers scuba? Those instructors usually offer certifications in addition to your YMCA card (which is actually fine by itself.) The Y programs that I am familiar with have a couple of advantages: lots of time spent in learning situations, and no incentive to sell gear. YOu get guidance on gear purchases, but not pressure to buy expensive stuff that u don't need. The Y program that I assist with on weekends consists of a weekend morning in the pool & afternoon in the classroom. The teaching materials that I am most familiar with are NAUI (and I have heard others also are pretty good) who offers a packet including the book, workbook, audiotape, and video, so you can re-inforce knowledge in your car, at dinner, & when you actually sit still & read. To learn about local conditions, you just need a teacher who dives localy a lot. If beach diving is appropriate in your locale, find a guy who teaches it so you can save $ on boats in the long run.

As for the lung, yes, all OW students are required to get medical clearance from the MD of their choice. If u like your regular Dr., use him, but take the ph. # & web info of DAN (divers alert network) in case he is unfamiliar with diving issues. At least he is familiar with YOU! If he says he can't help you because he is too uncomfortable, DAN can help refer you to one of the many Dr.'s in their data banks who understands the issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom