The Blue Hole, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All

I will be in Belize at the end of this year and I am considering diving the blue hole. I have read some of the other threads about inexperienced divers. I have my open water and have completed the deep dive module of the advanced. But I have only done about 10 dives since getting my open water. I plan to do some other dives in Mexico and Belize before I would attempt the dive. But I am still unsure of whether I should attempt this dive. I am not amazingly confident. What would other divers recommend

I recommend you dive within your training and experience level. Question your dive operator to the profile that will be dived if you go. If the profile is within your training and experience level, then do the dive, if it's not then don't. Why rule it out if the dive profile is not questionable? This is how you should evaluate every dive you are considering, not just the blue hole.

I'm a dummy that did the blue hole on my 4th dive after getting open water certified (only 3 ocean dives before it) and I would say don't do it. Get more experience first. I ended up blowing through my air almost immediately and had to use the divemaster's 2ndary line then another tank that had been roped down. There's a lot more pressure on your lungs at that depth, much harder to breath... not to mention you can get the narcosis too.

Even with more eperience. the blue hole really isn't as awesome of a dive as everyone thinks it will be.. the other dives and half moon are pretty fun though.

Thejamez, you are in a position to comment on why very new divers shouldn't dive the Blue Hole, but respectfully, in no position to comment on the Blue Hole as a dive.

but respectfully, in no position to comment on the Blue Hole as a dive.
Considering I've been there and done it I don't see why not. It's too short, it's stressful, and it's a big dark, low visibility hole with very little to see. Mexico's cenote dives are infinitely more fun than the blue hole.

I do the Blue Hole on an 80 all the time and back on the boat with plenty. My dive buddy a newer, but calm diver, did almost as well. Yes, from time to time there's an air sucker that has to go on the hung tanks but its been awhile since I've seen that.

Again, I don't recommend brand new divers go on this dive. I don't recommend vacation divers go on this dive without having put in a number of days of 80+ foot dives in the earlier part of their trip.

I love the Blue Hole dive day with my chosen dive op and can't wait to return.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 04:42 PM ----------

Jamez, as you said, you were a new diver stressed. Ergo, in no position to judge that dive for others. You make an excellent case for why new divers should not make the dive. They won't enjoy it at all and will learn no appreciation for its unique characteristics.

Last edited:
As a post in another Blue Hole thread said, 'Don't bother with it, but you'll end up doing it, and then you'll tell everyone else not to do it' or something to that effect.

I've dove it twice. The first time was around my 12 dive, went to 80', saw some fish, lobsters and an eel. I stayed within my training.

The second time was after my AOW and with about a dozen deep (90-100) dives under my belt. That time my profile was 130ft for 7 or 8 minutes (can't remember which). Again, all within my training.

That last dive I came up breathing 1000psi at the bottom and another 250psi on the ascent (3-4 min ascent to 20ft with a 5 minute stop and another minute ascent to the surface) all told a 21minute dive.

What I do highly suggest, is either snorkel (especially if you are one of the first boats there, the divers bubbles in the cavern cause a lot of sediment in the waters above) the Blue Hole, or if there is a OW group on board, go to 80'. Then dive the other 2 sites at Lighthouse.

Mush safer, and probably a better day for everyone.

BRad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom