The Brass Spike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radio flyer

Registered
Reaction score
Have booked a morning dive with Lynnhaven in Va. Beach to dive the Brass Spike. I've done a limited web search about the wreck, but have come up with quite little about it. Has anyone ever dove it? Have anything to say about it? Awesome wreck? Like it well enough? So-so? Don't do it? Any interesting features that my hubbie-buddie and I should keep our eyes out for?

Thanks a million.

I have dove it once 2 years ago, but from what I can remember it is a wooden ship which is pretty much broken up. Lots of decent size flounder. I dont know if its 1 of my favorites around here,as Ive never been back, but any dive is a good dive.
Expect water temps to be mid to upper 50s, & vis to be 10-20ft on an average day.
Good luck & have a safe dive.

I dove the Brass Spike in 2002. I agree its pretty broken up. I remember there were lots of people spearfishing and they were very successful, if you're into that (I'm too lazy - I'd rather just go to the supermarket). Lots of people have found brass spikes from the wreck, hence the name. I personally don't collect brass spikes because if I did, there wouldn't be enough room for my collections of lawn ornaments, garden gnomes, and velvet elvis portraits. Seriously, though, its an 'ok' dive. Definitely checking out at least once.

On an unrelated note, I'm planning a dive to the Kurn (sp?) w/ Lynnhaven on Sept 8. Has anybody had any experiences on that site?

Cheerz!

-Spady

I dove the Kurn last Friday as a part of a night dive & when we hit the water we had 20-30ft vis & we were thrilled, but that ended when we hit the bottom & vis dropped to 3ft. We canceled the 2nd dive as it was a waste of time.
They pulled about 10 flounder off the wreck. How they saw them I will never know, but I was third in line so the first two probably had slightly better vis than me.
We stayed on the stern, but found a wreck reel line to the bow that the owner of Dive Quarters had put down last time he was there, thats who I was diving with,but we decided not to venture over there with such limited vis.
The ocean was flat calm so with no current everything was just hanging around the wreck.
Hit 96ft bottom temp of 57%.
Let me know when we get closer & maybe Ill hit that with you. I have an off shore ticket from Lynnhaven to use.

Hey, cool. Thanks for the info. yeah, if you are interested and have an extra boat ticket, that would be cool if you could go. I don't have a buddy set up for it b/c my wife doesn't like cold water diving (Morehead City is the farthest north she'll go).
I, however, plan to do alot more Virginia Beach diving since its much closer to Richmond.

Spady

That sounds good Spady, we are in the same boat as my wife did the 1 dive on the Spike that I wrote about & will not dive here again. We normally dive Morehead with Discovery & we just got back from Cape Fear. Was some good diving there also even tho we got blown out on 6 of 8 planned dives.
We are hitting the Texas Flower Gardens from Aug 20-24 for some good 80-80 diving to make her happy, but I hit the Va. Beach coast at least every other weekend & its not that bad. Went out to the EM Clark on Sunday & we had a great day with 20-30ft vis, but went down to 10-15 for our 2nd dive. But my buddy for the day hit 3, 8lb flounder & 2, 13lb Tautogs in the lower vis & didnt get squat on the 1st dive.

Back
Top Bottom