The Butterfly Effect: HCMS Yukon Model Dive 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The “Butterfly Effect” is part of chaos theory in physics. The theory is that a small change in one state can result in large differences in a later state. The prototypical example is that a butterfly flapping its wings can result in a tornado.

I ran into a “Butterfly Effect” between building the model after Dive #4 and adding the photos from Dive #5 and spent the better part of two days figuring it out and fixing it. The model is now almost complete. The only "blank" areas are the spots on the starboard hull that have moving seaweed.

The post provides screenshots of the model, a link to the "live" 3D model on Sketch along with a detailed analysis of what happened and how I eventually fixed it.

Here is a screenshot of the model in it's current state:

model-final-dive5-1.png

Enjoy,

- brett

Beautiful work, and a real contribution to diving that site.

We used to talk about a "Husquvarna Filter" for photography, which would entail using a chainsaw to cut down inconvenient trees, power poles, and other things in our shot. Maybe there is an equivalent for seaweed! :p

I run into that sometimes with video editing. You make a small change and suddenly the software decided to start behaving in unpredictable ways for not apparent reason.

Beautiful work, and a real contribution to diving that site.

We used to talk about a "Husquvarna Filter" for photography, which would entail using a chainsaw to cut down inconvenient trees, power poles, and other things in our shot. Maybe there is an equivalent for seaweed! :p

I run into that sometimes with video editing. You make a small change and suddenly the software decided to start behaving in unpredictable ways for not apparent reason.

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, I've got a few ideas on how to finish the model. :)

- brett

Back
Top Bottom