The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disappointed with my behavior? Papa Bear is the one that made the funny as hell totally senseless argument.
Disappointed only has one s.

hmmm ... use an old video that bears no relationship to reality, about a subject you know absolutely nothing about except what you have been feed by media, and then attack someone's grammar as opposed to answering the actual objection they bring up. Yeah that's got me convinced. Yes his grammar is atrocious but his point is valid - answer the question. Where are you getting your information that the carcass is wasted?

Do you think the clip you are looking at actually bears any relationship to what goes on on a daily basis or do you think it was chosen out of many many hours of footage to get a single point across and to show seal hunting in the absolute worst possible light. This is a job and a source of income for these people that is hard work in extreme conditions and is not endangering the species - did that part get captured and reported?

You are being manipulated - engage your brain.

How exactly is clubbing a seal any more or less cruel than tossing a live creature into a pot of boiling water - save the lobster!!!! Chefs are cruel brutal people and should be locked up. Chickens electocuted - barbaric. Cows shot in the head - brutality in action.

I know absolutly nothing about seals and seal hunting, but for things to worry about re our abuse of ocean resources - seal hunting (population 8+ million if someone's earlier post is correct) vs. overfishing vs. finning - vs habitat destruction seems a bit superficial. Seals are not endangered any more than cows are. But for being cute nobody but those who think we all should give up being omnivores would care.

If seals were endangered in any way I would have no problem supporting this - they are not - nor are they in any danger of going that direction.

Thank you for the backhanded compliment, but I was sitting in the dark watching "The Mist" and typing on my laptop, not that I care! But just for clarification! a miss placed t and and a miss used word does not indicate anyones proclivity for grammar! :D

Now back to beating cow eyed baby seals!:D

Disappointed with my behavior? Papa Bear is the one that made the funny as hell totally senseless argument.
Disappointed only has one s.

You know, I really don't care! Unlike you I have to sit here and translate every word I write, and after all I think I'm doing a pretty nifty job at that since I don't speak English regularly. If you want to make your own thread about grammar on SB I might even support you there, but it has nothing to do in a regular thread bashing others for their grammar. I too think Papa_Bear has been a tad blunt here, but that's all too.

More dubious tactics from Sea Shepherd.

Darnold9999 makes very valid points, and I think anyone who opposes this hunt and still eats meat, lobster and other animals (or wears leather shoes) opens themselves up to charges of hyprocrisy.

Okay, just what sensible objection did Papa Bear bring up? Was it this one?
"Tell PETA to go drowned themselves! The Club is not just a good way to keep your car from getting stolen! It saves the pelt and it is quick and painless! If you don't believe me come over and I will show you!"
Sorry if I missed his valid point but it wasn't made on this thread. Feel free to enlighten us on the answer to any question that he was asking if you can figure it out what it was.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

It appears that in the heat of discussion personal attacks were made and responded to.

This is a clear violation of the TOS so they've been removed.

I've tried to maintain the spirit of the thread but this may be revisited at a later date.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ha! We are back to this again! I love how the human race has gladly placed itself on a pedestal above animal kind. I also find it quite disturbing that human beings can actually watch the video NatureDiver posted and not be totally mortified by it and want the practice of seal hunting and the fur trade at the very least forced to enact more humane methods. Personally I am totally against the seal hunt and the fur trade. I am not a supporter of Peta however but I am still against what the Canadian government allows concerning the seal hunt.

Back to my original statement: Look how we as humans have separated ourselves from the natural world. Papa Bear, I have read in other posts where you stated that human beings are a natural part of the world so what we do (industry, scuba, etc.) with technology then becomes natural. If we are such a natural part of a natural world (which I feel we are) why do we place ourselves so high above other living things.

Think of the punishment a group of people would get if they stormed a daycare and started clubbing 3 month or 3 year old children to death then skinned them alive and fashioned them into a nice coat. In human terms such actions make a person who does that to another person a "serial killer" or "mass murderer" but we gleefully accept that behavior when a person does that to another living being, in this case a seal. We even wear the animals fur on an overpriced coat buying into the industry that fuels the killing.

Gandhi perhaps one of Earth's greatest humanitarians once said, "That a nation's moral progress would be judged by how they treat their animals." Bashing in the skulls of an animal then skinning it alive may perhaps represent one of the worst ways to treat any living thing. I read that Wardric commented that "there are no pretty ways to die" but that "the Canadian sealers methods are designed to be less cruel then others." IMO that is like saying that the IED roadside bombs being used to kill U.S. troops in Iraq are designed to be more humane ways of killing someone, that's totally nuts!

I do agree Wardric that there are no pretty ways to die. As a race human beings could do a lot less killing. We do plenty of killing when it comes to killing each other in disgusting ways but we do even more killing when it comes to killing animals. We kill eco-systems and we have darn near killed our oceans.

The great American novelist Kurt Vonnegut (one of my personal heroes) gave up on the notion that there was any real - true hearted goodness left in humanity. Luckily I am not to that point yet, though seeing wicked men bash in the brains of helpless baby animals and listen to some of Scuba Board's users defend their actions and make up miserable excuses as to why it's alright makes me totally understand Mr. Vonnegut's position.

Kudos to SS - keep up the good work guys!

Ha! We are back to this again! I love how the human race has gladly placed itself on a pedestal above animal kind. I also find it quite disturbing that human beings can actually watch the video NatureDiver posted and not be totally mortified by it and want the practice of seal hunting and the fur trade at the very least forced to enact more humane methods. Personally I am totally against the seal hunt and the fur trade. I am not a supporter of Peta however but I am still against what the Canadian government allows concerning the seal hunt.

Back to my original statement: Look how we as humans have separated ourselves from the natural world. Papa Bear, I have read in other posts where you stated that human beings are a natural part of the world so what we do (industry, scuba, etc.) with technology then becomes natural. If we are such a natural part of a natural world (which I feel we are) why do we place ourselves so high above other living things.

Think of the punishment a group of people would get if they stormed a daycare and started clubbing 3 month or 3 year old children to death then skinned them alive and fashioned them into a nice coat. In human terms such actions make a person who does that to another person a "serial killer" or "mass murderer" but we gleefully accept that behavior when a person does that to another living being, in this case a seal. We even wear the animals fur on an overpriced coat buying into the industry that fuels the killing.

Gandhi perhaps one of Earth's greatest humanitarians once said, "That a nation's moral progress would be judged by how they treat their animals." Bashing in the skulls of an animal then skinning it alive may perhaps represent one of the worst ways to treat any living thing. I read that Wardric commented that "there are no pretty ways to die" but that "the Canadian sealers methods are designed to be less cruel then others." IMO that is like saying that the IED roadside bombs being used to kill U.S. troops in Iraq are designed to be more humane ways of killing someone, that's totally nuts!

I do agree Wardric that there are no pretty ways to die. As a race human beings could do a lot less killing. We do plenty of killing when it comes to killing each other in disgusting ways but we do even more killing when it comes to killing animals. We kill eco-systems and we have darn near killed our oceans.

The great American novelist Kurt Vonnegut (one of my personal heroes) gave up on the notion that there was any real - true hearted goodness left in humanity. Luckily I am not to that point yet, though seeing wicked men bash in the brains of helpless baby animals and listen to some of Scuba Board's users defend their actions and make up miserable excuses as to why it's alright makes me totally understand Mr. Vonnegut's position.

Kudos to SS - keep up the good work guys!

Man, there isn't one thing in your post that is true! Not one! Do you ever get out and look for yourself or sit back and allow PETA to tell you how to think? Try to get this concept we rule the planet! If we weren't here it would matter if the big blue ball was lifeless like it will be in the future! Do you sit up late at night crying for the dinosaur? What would you like for all of us to move off the the planet? Life pale is about quality!

So maybe out of the 100thoushand seal pups born each year they take 10 to 20%! Do you think starving to death is better for the dumb animal? These first of all aren't hunters in the traditional sense they processors of animals and herd managers! If you think you can go "Hunt" them apply for a permit and see what you get!

Man is a part of nature and the master of it! Get over it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom