• I think I will die

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • I want to die

Votes: 23 17.0%
  • I'm a non-barfing wonder-of-nature

Votes: 22 16.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
If you haven't been seasick, you just haven't been in big enough seas :wink:
Haven't been in big enough seas yet. :)

I did have a car accident about ten years back that gave me some serious vertigo if I turned my head while lying down. But that's gone now. I'm one of 'those people' that have a tough time making myself uhummmmm 'purge'. Can't do it, even if I'm drunk as a skunk and know I'm going to........not that I've ever been that drunk. :wink:

Stage 6 is afraid you WON'T die. BTDT

OTOH there are a few tips that seem to work to keep you alive even in stage 6.

1. Orange juice and honey & cut with water tastes the same both ways. It also is absorbed fast enough you can stay alive on it even if you can only borrow it for a few minutes.

Move to a different part of the boat/ship and get your eyes closed. This changes the driving frequency/amplitude enough things may settle down long enough to absorb the water and some nutrients from the brew above.

Being asleep in a dark place when the boat starts getting into heavy weather gives the inner ear a chance to adjust a bit and reduces the intensity of the chumming reflex.

And always remember it's YOUR job to empty the bucket you used to hold your stomach contents!

FT

BTW Seasickness kills by dehydration. You HAVE to drink something to stay alive on a long crossing!

I've gotten seasick once, the day after I reported to my first unit in the USCG, we went on the cutter's maiden Alaskan patrol. I got to #5, it lasted about a day, and I was fine for the next 6 yrs (thank goodness). Funny thing is I got LAND SICK 3x's, the first being about 30 days after the aforementioned only sea sick episode, I hadn't stepped foot off the cutter in that time, we pulled into Astoria, OR. for a little break, I needed some items from a store, went into a Safeway, I think it was. I got really dizzy and the aisles of the store started moving like they were swells (ever been in a large earthquake where you can see the ground roll? thats' what it was like, without the shaking). Sat my butt down in the middle of the aisle, in the grocery store for about 15 minutes, before it went away. Happened a couple other times but not as severe, then again those other times, it coulda been the booze :coke:

I haven't been on a boat since starting my dive career but on my grandfathers fishing boat I used to get sick all the time. Of course I didn't know any better when I was 9 and would eat candy and drink soda all day. I think they let me do it so the fish would come closer to the boat.

I did get sick during a surface interval at the quarry though. My friend and I were going back and forth trying Harry Potter Any Flavor Jelly Beans. I managed to not to puke on the grass flavored one, but the sardine one sent me over the edge.

Before I discovered Bonine, I used to get sea sick fairly commonly. It got to the point I would eat a bunch of chocolate donettes prior to the dive - Made me happy and when I puked it didn't taste all that horrible.

Lukily I haven't been sea sick in a long time. I'll have to try 8 foot seas in a small boat off Oregon again one of these days to see if I still suffer. Not a problem anymore for me out here.

I spent my summers as growing up on my dad's boats, from small to large, without ever getting sick. I did fly in a small single engine plane and when we turned too tight, I had the feeling, but managed to keep my lunch inside me.

Kim:
OK - it's done. A few people have also said that they didn't get sea sick so I'm not the only freak! :D

My father never got sick coming home from WWII on a destroyer in 50ft seas....he had two daughters me and my sister who have been in real rough water on multiple occasions and never got sea sick. So it should follow that Mom shouldn't get sea sick either... Wrong... poor Mom we weren't five minutes from the dock! I bought her a lifetime supply of Bonine after that. Must have gotten the anti mal de mer genes from Dad. :wink:

Kriterian:
I did get sick during a surface interval at the quarry though. My friend and I were going back and forth trying Harry Potter Any Flavor Jelly Beans. I managed to not to puke on the grass flavored one, but the sardine one sent me over the edge.

Ok, those are just nasty !!!! Puke, grass, dirt, sardine, soap..... yuck!!!

As far as seasickness, I get horribly seasick... Dramamine has never helped; bought a box of Bonine, now I need to test it out... :)

Honestly, I've never been seasick and I consdier myself lucky...

I'm not sure if it's true but for many who don't get sea sick there seems to be a common theme to early exposure to water. In my case my Dad was in the Military and I was shipped from the UK to Malaysia at the tender age of one and a half. At age 5 we sailed back again. He also took me flying in a single engine Auster when I was about 4. I started to regularly fly between the UK and Germany from 9 onwards. I always used to wonder what those paper bags were really for! I've never been airsick either.
Maybe that's the trick. Get your kids onto boats from a young age and who knows, you might be saving them the 'heavies' later on in life!

Back
Top Bottom