The Flower Gardens of Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thanks to all of you who've answered. Your input has been invaluable.

Thanks Again, Steve

TwoBitTxn:
Chrpi,

Ok... Consider this... Novice OW diver books trip a month in advance. A front rolls through and makes things borderline. The trip goes. OW diver has several choices... Cancell and eat the trip cost. Go and put him/herself in a position to dive in conditions over his head. Go, not dive, and take a long expensive boat trip.

You are correct.From what I have been told, these boats would cancell for conditions that an Atlantic boat wouldn't. I have never dove on the Atlantic coast. Would you recommend a newbie diver to take a trip out on an Atlantic boat in 4-5 foot seas, cross currents, surge, and limited vis?

I guess I really want people to understand what the dive shops will not tell them. New divers go out to the gardens every year. They come home in one peice all the time. Last summer was one of the best the trip operators had as far as weather. But on my trip in 2001 the weather was rough and several people either didn't dive or made very few dives.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :box:

I'd like to say that on the Atlantic Boats that I've gone on there is no hand holding. You bring your buddy and your dive plan and thats it. From the impression I've gotten talking to a couple of Houston LDS they 'pride' themselves on supplying divemasters (yuck) so I would think that if a novice diver is on the boat he could grab a DM or an experienced buddy and go diving regardless of conditions. After all, when they hand you that shiney little C-Card and say 'I agree to dive only in conditions similar to what I was certified in' they didn't actually expect you to never expand your horizons did they?

I know I didn't cut my teeth on cold, dark, choppy water by looking at it from the shoreline.

FWIW I had a woman from the Mid Atlantic try to pull the same 'your not ready' crap with me. She moaned about the long boat rides, the choppy water, people getting sick, lost, killed, ectera.... all of this after I had told her of my 3 weeks on BlackBeard Cruises, scores of quarry dives in 35f water and experience with deep, wreck, nitrox, rescue ectera.

Some people just have to make it sound sooooo hard thats all.

for anyone who's done 3 whole weeks on a Blackbeard boat...with those heavy-weight credentials, you'll be able to skip the dive briefs. They'll probably want you to pilot the boat, too.

cyklon_300:
for anyone who's done 3 whole weeks on a Blackbeard boat...with those heavy-weight credentials, you'll be able to skip the dive briefs. They'll probably want you to pilot the boat, too.

She was talking about the "long 2 hour boat rides" and choppy conditions. My first time out of port with them we had an 8 hour ride to Bimini in 8'-10' seas with side ways rain.

Despite your smart a.. comment, I rest my case.

chrpai:
I'd like to say that on the Atlantic Boats that I've gone on there is no hand holding. You bring your buddy and your dive plan and thats it.

On the Fling or the Spree, you may want to start looking for a new buddy. Shop DMs are usually in the water as just another diver. Boat DMs are not in the water. They are checking divers in and out but will come to the rescue when the fit hits the shan.

awap:
On the Fling or the Spree, you may want to start looking for a new buddy. Shop DMs are usually in the water as just another diver. Boat DMs are not in the water. They are checking divers in and out but will come to the rescue when the fit hits the shan.

Same with the SeaSearcher. FGNB dives are not lead tours. You actually have to use your compass there.

James Goddard:
Same with the SeaSearcher. FGNB dives are not lead tours. You actually have to use your compass there.

That is good to hear.

When do they start running again? I think I heard late february or something. I definatly need to get out there and have some fun. Anyone want to go?

chrpai:
That is good to hear.

When do they start running again? I think I heard late february or something. I definatly need to get out there and have some fun. Anyone want to go?

I was there March 15th and it was only the second trip they had been able to make so far. If you're looking to go that early you need to be able to handle cancellations. Not so hard for you in TX but when I go I have to arrange a flight.

I like the SeaSearcher better than the Srpee/Fling. All are good boats but SS carries less people...i.e. less crowded. Only downside to SS is no nitrox.

James

James Goddard:
If you're looking to go that early you need to be able to handle cancellations. Not so hard for you in TX but when I go I have to arrange a flight.

I work downtown Houston. All I'd have to do is check at the last minute to see if I need to jump on the north freeway to head home or head south towards the docks.

chrpai:
I work downtown Houston. All I'd have to do is check at the last minute to see if I need to jump on the north freeway to head home or head south towards the docks.

Little harder for me. I'm a vendor for computer company formerly know as Compaq and get down there once a month on average. If I book the flight to spend the weekend and the boat doesn't go I'm stuck...

Happend to me on my last trip....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom