The Gag Reflex? Fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcoz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
OK....Not trying to be crude. Just trying to see if this might work. Gag Reflex is pretty strong. I was in COZ this week and was 40 down and gag started. Used purge valve to alleviate. However, saw a product that I wondered if anyone has experience with or has used to rid the gag reflex. "Great Head?" This is a small drop and it numbs and prevents gagging in what the name.

Aqualung Comfobite mouthpiece. You want the real deal made in France, not the knockoffs, even the one from DGX. I have a horrid gag reflex. Dentist visits are awful. The genuine AquaLung Comfobite mouthpiece is the only thing that stops it. Many mouthpieces have long bite wings, which trigger it in me.

Any AquaLung dealer will be able to get you once. They’re about $15, at least at my local AL shop, but worth every penny.

I have a pretty bad gag reflex. I have found trimming off the portion of the mouthpiece where the rear molar teeth sit, fixes the issue for me.

OK....Not trying to be crude. Just trying to see if this might work. Gag Reflex is pretty strong. I was in COZ this week and was 40 down and gag started. Used purge valve to alleviate. However, saw a product that I wondered if anyone has experience with or has used to rid the gag reflex. "Great Head?" This is a small drop and it numbs and prevents gagging in what the name.
Some tricks:
1. Always have a bottle of water, gatorade, something not too sweet. take a big drink and make sure your mouth is wet before you bite your mouthpiece. Also splash some onto your mouthpiece before biting down.

2. get a smaller mouthpiece. Either trim it down to where it fits about 1/2 way into your mouth or get one of these:
The Aqualung Comfo Bite silicone mouthpiece comes in a 2 pack so you can either put one on your Octo also, or toss one into your save-a-dive kit. Trident makes one that's a little cheaper and also works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom