The Good Guys Win One

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Envirionmentalists managed to shut down the contruction of all new nuclear power facilties a couple decades ago. We are now paying for it in carbon emissions.

I wonder if 10 or 15 years down the road we will be looking at natural gas shortages in New England and complaining about the dumb energy companies that didn't see the problem coming and were such cheapskates that they didn't invest what was necessary to build LNG handling facilities.

Charlie Allen

the price of natural gas is already artificially high because of limited local supplies. there is no reason industry and recreation can't co-exist. some of the best dive locations in the gulf of mexico are around oil rigs.

I don't think the opposition to this plan had much to do with the need for new facilities, but rather, the placement of a facility in a National Park. Two offshore permits for unloading LNG tankers were just approved off Gloucester. Unlike the rigs in the Gulf, the now dead Outer Brewster plan would have required a 1000yard security zone. This would eliminate all access, divers included, to the area.

johnnyseko:
Why would a wind farm restrict diving??

Keep in mind I am not familiar with wind#1 or #2, but these seem like a good idea to me.

I'm just assuming they wouldn't want boats and divers in the area of the wind farm due to security and/or safety concerns. In addition to the above the water wind turbines, they'll have to construct u/w cables to bring the electric power to the shore and support platforms to keep the turbines from falling over.

I'm not against more wind turbines, it just seems that dropping them in salt water is going to create a few construction problems/maintenance issues. Hull Wind #1 is on the property of the Hull HS and #2 is on the site of the old town dump near the Hingham line. Both of the turbines are nowhere near anyone's home. It seems to me that putting the turbines on dry municipal land like town dumps away from homes is a better idea. They provide all or almost all of the town's municipal power needs. If you do a google search, the sites that come up are very informative.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
That was a stupid idea to begin with....an LNG facility on federally owned park land. What's next an oil derrick next to Mt. Rushmore? Solar panels over Confederate graves at Gettysburg?

Well, just today I heard on NPR about a proposal to build a USAF fighter training base right next to a wetland preserve... Didn't catch where exactly, but as someone on the program said, "Jet planes and 30-pound swans are a recipe for disaster."

mello-yellow:
Well, just today I heard on NPR about a proposal to build a USAF fighter training base right next to a wetland preserve... Didn't catch where exactly, but as someone on the program said, "Jet planes and 30-pound swans are a recipe for disaster."

I also heard that the Army wants to purchase land to expand an ordinance range on land containing some fossil beds and dinosaurs tracks. Huh? That's a good quote about the swans.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
I'm just assuming they wouldn't want boats and divers in the area of the wind farm due to security and/or safety concerns. In addition to the above the water wind turbines, they'll have to construct u/w cables to bring the electric power to the shore and support platforms to keep the turbines from falling over.

LobstaMan

Oh, got it. I missed the part about being offshore, I thought they would be on the coast or on the islands or something.

Lets hope there is minimal impact.:)

Been doing the google thing...tons of info! I could be here all night! Really interesting. I guess I had no idea how much energy those things actually produce!

Boston Diver Services:
The plan to put a LNG facility on Outer Brewster Island has finally been pronounced dead. My thanks to everyone, especially Save the Harbor/Save the Bay, who prevented this facility from moving into our National Park Area. Capt. Pat

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/04/26/harbor_island_lng_plan_dead_foe_says/

We're still fighting the fight in Passamaquoddy Bay (Maine/New Brunswick) and hopefully the stance of the Canadian government prevents the projects from occurring. The proposed route of the tankers is right through marine mammal feeding grounds, right whales in particular. The Canadians have already stated that they won't allow the tankers through Head Harbour Passage between Campobello and Deer Islands but the LNG developers on the Maine side push on with their "bribes" to the poor Maine towns and Native Americans.

Alternative energy projects, tidal power in particular, are proposed and being tested in the area with the promise of a less environmentally invasive power source.

adshepard:
We're still fighting the fight in Passamaquoddy Bay (Maine/New Brunswick) and hopefully the stance of the Canadian government prevents the projects from occurring. The proposed route of the tankers is right through marine mammal feeding grounds, right whales in particular. The Canadians have already stated that they won't allow the tankers through Head Harbour Passage between Campobello and Deer Islands but the LNG developers on the Maine side push on with their "bribes" to the poor Maine towns and Native Americans.

Alternative energy projects, tidal power in particular, are proposed and being tested in the area with the promise of a less environmentally invasive power source.

Good luck up there. If there wasn't so much grassroots opposition down here AES would be laying their foundation right now. P.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom