The Great Escape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dive solo and expect to be branded as a reckless miscreant. You'll promptly get a knock on your door and be served blue legal papers and restraining orders. You'll be exiled from social diving affairs, barred from entering school zones and get a state required Tattoo on your forehead. If you dive solo at night you will be deported and listed on Interpol.
That's what they said would happen but it never did.

What nobody ever said was that one night up at Lake Murray the Goodness of Humanity would almost be my undoing.

By Moonlight I geared up and went down to the water by myself without attracting any attention from the other campers ( or so I thought ) The rocks on the shore were smooth and slick so I did a fast entry into the lake making a heck of a splash. I think they call it a " Giant Slide Entry " :D

So I drifted out a ways and started to do the normal things like adjust my mask, check BC dumps, gage checks, Reg. checks, Light checks, Pony Bottle check, putting on my fins ect. ect.... Much of that I do slightly submerged.
I got done and popped up to float a bit and look at the Moon only to find panic on the shore of the lake and a hoard of S*** Faced Drunk Frat Boys entering the water and making they're way out to save me. It was like being caught in a rock slide or a cattle stampede. It was frightening and I knew I was going to die if they reached me.

I did the only thing I could think to do to save myself in this situation............
I hit the dump button on my inflater....PSRHsssssssssssssssssssssh...........
and disappeared fast to the bottom of the lake. I switched on my light and lined up a compass bearing towards the opposite shore. As I finned into the darkness to Become One with the Mud I knew I had pulled off The Great Escape. :crafty:

The drunk frat boys probably thought you were a drunk coed skinny dipping, good thing you made a successful escape.

LOL, that was great

They were too drunk to follow your light:D

Yep, great story. Just shows how a solo diver can handle stress and fear without panicking! :D

Good going!

Dave C

Nice job! They probably still wonder if it was a fur seal with headlights that splashed into the water..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom