The Great Travis Traverse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fixxer thanks for the profile.....and thanks to the guys for the work put in. Alan

You can see in the profile where I "climbed" on top of the stakes to sink them.

stakes.JPG

You can see in the profile where I "climbed" on top of the stakes to sink them.

View attachment 75881

Dang, I noticed those-?, but thanks for putting an explanation to them. :wink: About how far in the mud/silt can you sink them?

food for thought

I'm hoping that once we finish getting accross the river bed we'll find some trees or something on the other side, it'll go a lot faster if we don't have to deal with sinking stakes.

View attachment 75871

Possible solution.

Attachments

• Traverse.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Traverse.JPG
    Traverse.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 81
Dang, I noticed those-?, but thanks for putting an explanation to them. :wink: About how far in the mud/silt can you sink them?

6 footers go down to 5.5 feet like a hot knife through butter, according to topo's the silt down there is over 10 feet deep

Possible solution.

I think this would be pretty tough because your talking about messing with line out where there is quite a bit of boat traffic, this would for sure give you the straightest possible line even if it wasnt' perfectly straight.

My other concern would be the strenth of the anchors, these PVC stakes hold up good to sheering forces because it trys to pull it through the silt, but with a bouay or upward force it would easily be pulled out, it would take a different kind of anchor to get that job done.

Talking about on one of the next runs doing a survey to find out why there is such a bad zig zag and shooting a new line between two stakes to removing that zag.

I'm thinking we've gotta be about there, we've spun out a dive rite primary and the last segments were pretty good westward shots.

Maybe even try your idea by shooting a bag off the last anchor thats there now, but the same issue remains if a boat gets a holed of it, it'll zipper out every anchor.

If I knew we were within 300 feet of the otherside with some kind of tree or other tie of point, I'd say go from the last anchor and just spin it all out to a good point on the other side, come back with the angled stakes and then secure the line down after the fact.

When you gonna be out there next, have you been down on the line? maybe you can take that idea and tie it into whats already there?

Another segment of line was added today, the last segment has a very nice true westward direction.

Vis was in inches

Ianr33 and I laid 400ft. line on the GTTP Friday night... tried for a straight shot west, think we did ok, but need to verify. My guess is it's now like 700-800' out, and didn't hit the other bank, though it was sloping up a bit and the stake hit rock at 2 feet, much like the first one, Vis is 5-10 feet if not stirred. :D

Could see the whole way out, but silted up some on return. Max depth 154', 53f, 1hr 26 min run time. There are two unused stakes still laying on the line that could easily be added to strengthen the new section... 400' w/ no tie offs, need to go back and stabilize it.

I agree with FIXXERVI6 that the zig zag needs to be removed. It's especially bad when you can actually see it :shakehead: Simple to fix though.

Many thanks to Cavemn for coming out in support, your help is appreciated.

This is the profile of our dive last night. It's from from my Sensus Pro which always measures a few feet shallow.
Max depth on my computer was 154. Its clear from this that the bottom was sloping upwards, not as quickly as I might have hoped though.
Where we turned was about 10 feet shallower than the deepest part of the river channel. By my calculation we were at the 530 contour line.

Zinc did a great job running the reel. I'm glad I volunteered him into that.

Many thanks to Cavemn for acting as surface support. We had a lot of tanks and appreciated help in carrying them. He brought the beer as well :wink:

Good diving and good people. Perfect evening.

Attachments

• GTTP.jpg
    GTTP.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 58
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom