The Ice Proton or Abyss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a new set of regs and wanted to gauge opinion of the Mares ice Proton with a v32 first stage. Spesifically wether it's worth getting over an Abyss with the MR22 first stage, any comments would be appreciated, Thanks

Unfortunately, this thread will be filled rather quickly with lots of advice on why you should get neither and get a Scubapro/Poseidon/Apeks regulator.

I have had an Abyss for about 3 years and it has always worked well for me. I have an Axis octo. I would recommend the Abyss over the Proton simply due to the cost of the Abyss vs. the proton Ice. The Ice is newer and seems to be the Mares flagship right now, since the Ti Planet and Ruby are disappearing. The cost is set accordingly. In addition, I don't like the color scheme thing that they have going on the Ice. It reminds me of people buying Apple computers based on whether or not they match a room. I've always been a fan of black...

The V32 looks to have the same hose routing as MR22, and I'd bet the insides are strikingly similar. In the end, it probably comes down to the size of the second stage. The other features of the 2 regs look identical, so if you like a smaller second stage, go with the Ice. If you don't mind a little larger second and want to save some money, get the Abyss.

For either, I'd get a Axis or Proton (non-Ice) octo. The Abyss and Ice octo's are pretty high-priced.

If you are going to dive in cold water, the proton ice would be a better choice. Keep in mind that Mares also makes cold water kits (called CWD) that can be retrofitted to your 1st stage by any authorized Mares shop. You can even put one on MR12 or V16.

I have been diving with the Mares Ruby for 8 years now, two weeks ago I had the absolute pleasure of taking the Ice for a dive to 50 MSW.

This reg is breathes smoother than anything else I have ever put in my mouth, I plan to pick one up in a month as my primary Reg for my deep kit it is so small and light yet breathes as well as its bigger cousins. You will never regret buying an Ice.

nk5 once bubbled...
If you are going to dive in cold water, the proton ice would be a better choice. Keep in mind that Mares also makes cold water kits (called CWD) that can be retrofitted to your 1st stage by any authorized Mares shop. You can even put one on MR12 or V16.

Both have the metal inserts in the second stage, and as I understood, the name ice is simply the name (also the color scheme - ice blue). Either one still needs a CWD for cold water diving...

Why is the proton better for cold water?

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
I have been diving with the Mares Ruby for 8 years now, two weeks ago I had the absolute pleasure of taking the Ice for a dive to 50 MSW.

This reg is breathes smoother than anything else I have ever put in my mouth, I plan to pick one up in a month as my primary Reg for my deep kit it is so small and light yet breathes as well as its bigger cousins. You will never regret buying an Ice.

Have you ever dove an Oceanic Zeta? If so, how would you compare it to the Ice?

PurduEE once bubbled...

Both have the metal inserts in the second stage, and as I understood, the name ice is simply the name (also the color scheme - ice blue). Either one still needs a CWD for cold water diving...

Why is the proton better for cold water?

You are absolutely right, but the Ice is supposed to give you better thermal conduction based on its design and smaller size comparing to the Abyss (so I am told), however, I'm not arguing that this may be purely a maketing gimmik.

PurduEE once bubbled...

Have you ever dove an Oceanic Zeta? If so, how would you compare it to the Ice?

I can't give you a comparison to Mares, but I have used Zetas and actually have 2. (I have Zetas, Atomics, Posiedons, Zeagles-apex, and Aqua lung). When I set mine up I could set an incredibly low cracking pressure, about .2". I'm thinking maybe this will be my new favorite regulator. After being in the water with it I had to add a little to the cracking pressure to keep it from fluttering (.5-.7). Adjustment is easy since there is an adjustment screw just under the front cover that pretensions the diaphram. The regulator seemed fine to me and I liked the fact that it doesn't freeflow for more than a second or so if you drop it in the water--no need to detune octopus. The size of the valves and porting make me believe that it can deliver probably as much air as any regulator out there. One day while diving in maybe 60fsw I switched over to my Aqualung (calypso) on my pony bottle just to test it since it would be my last dive of the trip. My aqualung seemed smoother and more effortless than the Zeta! This was only 60fsw so take it for what it's worth. Needless to say it killed a little of my enthusiasm for Zetas. The point is, you need to do side by side testing in the water to get a really good feel for what you like best.

I would recommend the Poseidon Odin for ice diving.

If you look inside the second of the Odin you'll see why it is almost "freeze proof"

There is only a small pilot valve that controls flow-and it's not in a direct path of the divers exhalation.

The need for a metal heat sink is eliminated because the design is so different.

The things I don't like about the Odin is it's kind of big second(I have a Cyklon 5000 and that has a much lower profile second). And it does have a tendency to free flow-slightly if set up right.

I also have an Apeks TX50 and Cyklon 5000-neither of these comes close to the breathing of the Odin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom