the last straw!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sucks people try to nickle and dime people, I'm in a business that word of mouth is everything. In certain instances you have to go above and beyond. I remember giving a coustomer about 100 worth of stuff free along with labor. but two week down the road because of his referal I got another 2000 worth of work. Now if I was a pain in the a@@ and charged him or said I wasn't going to do it. I don't think that work would of came my way.
I'm sure you have freinds tell EVERYONE and do write a letter. Stores need to learn that without us their nothing. Besides if they will not give you the service you expect someone down the street will. Don't go down their in hit him in the face. Hit him where it will make more of an impact...In the wallet:sharky:

Originally posted by trymixdiver
This particular LDS has argon and trimix fills. So unless i can find another shop with such services i am screwed

Well, than that should help you control yourself to complain in a civil manner than!

I am a strong believer in loyalty to businesses I like. However, if I am slighted, then that loyalty disolves and I switch to "I'm paying you, so I'll use you when I need you".

I'm not saying burn bridges, but definately complain. I was talking to a repair shop that had an opportunity to screw me without me ever knowing, and when I pointed out that fact, his response was: "Screwing people costs me money in the long run. I could take the quick buck, but I lose the repeat business and the referral business. No single repair will get me as much money as I can in the long run"

If you really want to have fun, take your new tanks in for fills at his shop! :)

G'Luck

Monk

I got my doubles from them but my new AL40 came from DiversDiscount. My LDS said they dont have BLACK AL 40's, nor could they get one. DiversDicount had no problem getting me the Al 40 and a nice Genises DIN valve.

All my tanks have VIP stickers from DiversDiscount, him seeing these will piss him off a hell of a lot. He hates online sales companies.

Any divers in the Southern California area that would like to know which shop i refer to can e mail me.
trymixdiver@cox.net

my guess is that you probably know the shop i refer to.

Andy

I've been involved in service work for 14 years. It's possible that someone put a used spool in the new bin, but I would have checked it first myself anyhow because O rings go dry and if there is any chance of a problem better to replace them and have you happy. A better service would have been to replace it for you at no cost and charge you a legitimate price which is about $5 . AS a service rep I'm embarrassed that people do stuff like this. If I goofed I would want you to bring it back to me.:fight:

Originally posted by eanxdyver
If I goofed I would want you to bring it back to me.

That's actually an excellent point. Be sure that it was intentional and not a mistake when you confront him. Given the story about the battery from the dive computer however, it's unlikely [although there is a possibility that it wasn't actually used, he could have just put it in]. Just be sure that it wasn't a mistake/misunderstanding.

monk

I was practically working at the shop i was there so much. i would fill my own tanks and other customer tanks for that matter. i saw alot of things and heard alot of BS from the owner, he is not an ethical person IMO ( and many others in my area :))

As for the trimix fills i am looking into other options. There may be one other shop in my area that fills trimix. I know they teach the course there, so they may have fills too.

i havent confronted him, and probablay wont now. I plan on just spreading the word to my diving friends about what i saw.

Some Clarification:

the part he gave me could very well have come out of an spg that was brand new ( this i doute because i know this LDS too well), this doesnt change the fact that i paid $13 dollars for a new one. meaning i want one with no scratches in it and if possible in a baggie. His deception and lack of caring is really what pisses me off here. and to make things worse, he thinks this is an acceptable way to run a business.

Id hate to see us in So Cal loose a dive shop, but in this case i think in the long run we are all better off without him.

Andy

Originally posted by trymixdiver
monk

please... no need to be so formal...you can call me funky :)

i saw alot of things and heard alot of BS from the owner, he is not an ethical person IMO ( and many others in my area :))

Understood. I figured from your posts that you knew what was going on, but I thought I'd check...

g'luck.

Pug

Absolutely not. There eqipment repair area looks like a tornado hit it. The upstair offices are so full of crap that you cant walk around without turning sideways to move through there. They claim to have the best air in the county, but he doesnt change his filters much at all and the gunk comming out of the traps on the compressor is from a science fiction movie. This LDS doesnt maintain anything, there idea of maintenece is fix it when it breaks. And then do it half ass.

i was reminded of another incident my instructor witnessed him do. he was hydroing a customers tank and was getting very frustrated. he proceeded to throw the tank and damaged its valve. He told the customer his valve was bad and he needed a new one.

This was what my instructor told me Sunday when i picked up my books for my class. We were discussing where to get gas for our dives.

Andy

If that's the standard to which he operates I'd burn the bridge. I don't yet use mixes but even if it was just air how can you be sure it's not polluted in some way. It sounds as if this guy's business is already in terminal decline - it's just that like the Roman Empire/USSR the seeds of decline are sown some time before the final collapse comes. In this case the seed is the appalling attitude to customer service. There was another thread with a similar theme yesterday and someone made the point that bad news travels the world 10 X before the good news even has its shoes on. Word of mouth will kill this business without the need for anything in writing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom