The LDS of the future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd rather have a free instructor that teaches because he like to, not because he needs the money. I'd also like to see the end of certification cards and "agencies."

flots.

That is funny! You really don't see the big picture do you? How about this since you like free. I know some new tattoo guys that will work on you for free. They love what they do... They just need a little practice. Care to volunteer! Hahahaha....

Well that's why you make 350.00 a class and i pull 995.00. With your experience you should be in the same ball park... It's not my fault you can't sell it. I'm not a car salesmen, but you could learn a thing or two from one... If you charge it, they will pay. You only devalue yourself, wpbdivegirl is right I'm not competing with you. We don't compete in the same weight class. If it's all for a good cause why don't you go NFP... I'll stick with making good money and providing for my family 100% by doing what I love!

While I generally agree with your point and I, too, pay a premium for instruction. You may rethink your approach here. This line of messaging isn't likely to land you many customers. The dive shop of the future will serve their customers by communicating the value in paying the premium and by showing the benefits of what they'll receive for it...

Sure, except I dont need to go into that here on the board. This line of messaging was directed at someone not my clientele. Point taken though. The latter part of your statement I do day in and day out...

Brendon, why worry about what some other instructor charges and talking him down. He is free to set his price as he sees fit, and you are free to set your price. Both of you seem to be happy with your fees.

It has been interesting to read the wrangling between Bob and Brendon. I know Bob, and I'd pay $400 for his class in a heartbeat. I don't know Brendon, but apparently people feel his is worth $1000.

I am, I think, a reasonably affluent person as a diver, and I have thrown an awful lot of money at this sport. But two years ago, I had to choose between two classes at the same level. There were definitely going to be differences in the amount of material covered, and quite possibly differences in the standards to which students were held. Both instructors had very good reputations and were known to me personally. I had a strong personal bias toward one class, but it was THREE TIMES the cost of the other (and neither was cheap). I really had to sit back and do an "it's better, but is it three times better?" analysis for myself, and I took the less expensive class.

If you're going to price yourself wildly out of the mainstream, you're going to have to do an awfully good job of selling yourself -- because even someone like me, who isn't averse to spending money and who understands the differences between one class and another, is going to have a breaking point where better is the enemy of good.

Lynn, he's a Combat diver. Around here, if there was a Navy SEAL (or Combat Diver, assuming the prospective student knows the difference) teaching an OW class or AOW people would line up and pay whatever the asking price. I just happen to know a few people who have travelled to 1,500 miles for the sole purpose of learning to dive from a Navy SEAL. Being a Combat Diver I'm sure there's a certain notoriety that comes with it that may attract those willing to pay and put aside the nickel-and-dime mentality. People will justify paying for whatever it is they want, whatever is the price. Being trained by a military diver just sounds more interesting than being trained by your local Sport Chalet Course Director, despite that the training isn't going to be any different (well, I'm sure the intensity and standards will be higher but the skills will be the same mostly) other than the war stories.

Personally, I throw money at SCUBA like it grows on trees. But I will not pay more than $500 for a non-technical diving class even if it was taught by JJ or Custeau himself. I was not even cheap when I started, I paid $495 in 2006 for myself for a 10-day OW class and again for my wife than dropped $4,500 or so each on new set of gear a few days into the class. The shop had me by the balls and it is why I am so sensitive to spending unrealistic amounts in diving when I know it doesn't have to be that way, but I also understand what is fair and reasonable and have no problems with it.

Reactions: Jax
Well I guess you would have to sit next to one of my students on the boat... I love it when they run with the ball and school some salty dog who thinks he know everything...

So you are the guy turning out all the new OW divers that already know it all? I think if we take up a collection here from all the divers who have been stuck on a boat with people like this we could afford to pay you more then you are getting now if you promise to stop teaching.

You know, this tread started out as something that might be helpful providing an insight as to where the industry was -or should be - going, but instead has turned out to be dying - like so many good threads do - by drowning in dribble. I wish you guys could stay on topic.

That is funny! You really don't see the big picture do you? How about this since you like free. I know some new tattoo guys that will work on you for free. They love what they do... They just need a little practice. Care to volunteer! Hahahaha....

The best divers I know would happily teach SCUBA for nothing, since they don't rely on diving for income.

The entire concept of SCUBA as an "industry" is deelpy flawed.

There's no reason non-divers couldn't learn how to dive from publicly available materials, and another diver who has managed to not kill himself over the course of a few hundred dives.

flots.

I don't rely on diving for income to pay the regular bills. But I work a blue collar job that pays nothing near what a doctor, lawyer, or ceo makes. Diving is the only interest I've found that has managed to hold my interest for more than a couple years. In order to do it as much as I like I need to have a source of funds separate from my regular job. It turns out I have a knack for teaching. Now to teach in the USA where people refuse to take responsibility for themselves I need to have insurance. That costs money. More money in fact than my brother-in-laws insurance as an RN. More than a psycho-therapist I know pays. I also need to issue cards so my students can get air fills. That means going thru an agency or spending a couple grand on a card machine. Then setting up my own agency. Developing course materials (which is no biggie as I do that now any way) has costs associated with printing.

So I need to charge for my classes. Not living in a particularly affluent area I need to charge what the market will bear. That may change as this season I'm going to start going after the Marcellus Shale money that is coming to this area. Not many people are really benefitting from the whole thing directly from this area. But the people from texas, oklahoma, etc that are actually getting the good jobs are coming and they may need to do more than work.

They can afford premium prices for QUALITY instruction and those are the students I want.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom