The LDS of the future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's certainly your call.

Prospective divers still don't know who will properly cover the material they they need to learn, even with certification agencies. Ditching the agencies wouldn't be a great loss.

With no industry behind SCUBA, only the truly motivated would bother finding and instructor and learning to dive, and they would find out "who is a good instructor" by asking their friends, the same way they find roofers, mechanics and masons.

flots.

Ditching the agencies would kill the diving Industry... With no regulations or s&p to follow other then what the governments dictate, insurance would skyrocket... Quite frankly the accident rate would go thru the roof and the new fears that would create would bury whats left of this industry... Who's marketing scuba diving? Is it you, the LDS or the Internet websites like leisure pro...? I think not. If it wasn't for certification agencies, the diver population would be close to a small Amazonian tribe... Millions of dollars have been spent marketing scuba, who is going to foot that bill in your future with out the agencies? No industry behind scuba??? You most truly have an acute perspective on this matter, it's a billion dollar industry...

The LDS of the future will be Professional, Service rich and Consumer driven!

As we enter our 2nd 25 years, we are striving to meet ( and maintain these old ideals) these goals.

Flots it started out with dive clubs then dive shops/certifications and for busy tourist areas a dive shop is a tourist shop that performs charters and rental gear/tanks.

The minute you go for certification you are learning the effects of how to make money diving. It now has changed the diving for you and you go through the ranks till you spend more time and not enough to live on.

Brendon makes claims of making more money, but how can he he has no advertising on his post to lead back to him, of course his temper that comes out of his post obviously will drive away business. There are a lot of successful dive instructors that eventually get a dive shop and that is where the money is, so now you need to have an online service for the future in LDS.

Beaver Divers IS Thriving!

It's as if your mother just died or something cause you are so sorrow about something. Good luck Brendon on your adventure of the scuba world.

Scubaboard is where instructors names come up and they can pick for themselves who they feel they can achieve the skills from.

Ditching the agencies would kill the diving Industry... With no regulations or s&p to follow other then what the governments dictate, insurance would skyrocket... Quite frankly the accident rate would go thru the roof and the new fears that would create would bury whats left of this industry... Who's marketing scuba diving? Is it you, the LDS or the Internet websites like leisure pro...? I think not. If it wasn't for certification agencies, the diver population would be close to a small Amazonian tribe... Millions of dollars have been spent marketing scuba, who is going to foot that bill in your future with out the agencies? No industry behind scuba??? You most truly have an acute perspective on this matter, it's a billion dollar industry...
Horse pucky. I need no regulations or s&p to follow. The accident rate would, I suspect, drop, but many marginal players would fold their tents. I really don't care who markets scuba, it has no effect on me, and there is nothing wrong with a small and exclusive group. I'm part of one, lock, stock and barrel, regardless of how big or how small the rest of the scuba world is, so ... from my perspective those "millions" are wasted. As far as the "industry behind scuba" is concerned, the scuba biz is smaller than the Bocce Ball industry, in terms of dollars of sales ... when is the last time you saw a, "Let's Bocce!" advert? Scuba is not a billion dollar industry, as I recall it is not even within an order of magnitude of a Billion.
Flots it started out with dive clubs then dive shops/certifications and for busy tourist areas a dive shop is a tourist shop that performs charters and rental gear/tanks.

The minute you go for certification you are learning the effects of how to make money diving. It now has changed the diving for you and you go through the ranks till you spend more time and not enough to live on.

Brendon makes claims of making more money, but how can he he has no advertising on his post to lead back to him, of course his temper that comes out of his post obviously will drive away business. There are a lot of successful dive instructors that eventually get a dive shop and that is where the money is, so now you need to have an online service for the future in LDS.
Here Brendon may be quite correct. I run, on average three courses a year, I am willing to bet that even in a year when I only do two I do better than most "successful" dive instructors, yet I have no advertising on my post to lead anyone back to me, in fact, I do not want the general diving public calling me for training, and (like Brendon) I do not suffer fools gladly.

In regards to Brendon, Lmao!

Thal I know it can be done to make some money, but to make a mortgage, car, food, insurance for family, etc it is a full time to even get ahead. there is so much price shopping and schedualing of it and then a few problems here and there.

and if it would be a billion dollar scuba game we wouldn't be having this thread.

Scuba never was and never will be a main stream sport. It's a very small industry in relation to other leisure sports.
Scuba to a lot of people is one of those things that only water people do. When I tell people I dive the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "have you ever seen a shark" or, "I would dive but I'm scared of the ocean and sharks". That could just be a regional thing since I live in Great White central, but to most non divers there is a mystique about it and a certain wall exists in their minds that seems to keep ordinary land lubbers out.
The dive industry over the years has really tried to make scuba a rugular persons sport but there is a natural magnetic pull that seems to keep the one summer wonder and non water person from continuing in the sport and becoming a "regular" if you will that goes into the LDS and buys stuff.
So in other words the regular hard core permanent diver is maybe 1% of the overall population, not a big chunk.

How will the LDS survive?
Well, there are several that will inevitably go away simply because the economy has cleansed many of the "I want to try scuba" people from the market place.
The 80's and 90's were a time when young yuppies were doing well and entire LDS's were created to fill the need for the young hungry thrill seekers to find a place to spend their money.
That is no longer the case. They are stuck with us cheap hard cores that expect deals and want to dive for next to free.

I see the future dive industry as a few rock solid LDS's still around. The rest will be gone. Prices will still be high. The internet will sell most of the gear but even many of the internet dealers will go away except for the solid ones because of competition and a falling customer base.
Air fills won't be cheap but you won't have any choice.
There might be more mobile air station type operations but they will lack in air quality in the form of dry air. Dry air needs a bank and good filtration, that will only be available at a good shop. Good shops will be scarce and if you want good air and good fills you will pay for it.
If you don't like that then take up freediving.
Freediving is free except for the suit and fins.

Have a nice day.

Ditching the agencies would kill the diving Industry...

So what's your point?

Quite frankly the accident rate would go thru the roof and the new fears that would create would bury whats left of this industry... Who's marketing scuba diving? Is it you, the LDS or the Internet websites like leisure pro...? I think not. If it wasn't for certification agencies, the diver population would be close to a small Amazonian tribe... Millions of dollars have been spent marketing scuba, who is going to foot that bill in your future with out the agencies? No industry behind scuba??? You most truly have an acute perspective on this matter, it's a billion dollar industry...

You're completely missing my point. The world would not be any worse off if it wasn't an "industry" and might easily be better.

It's unlikely the accident rate would increase, since it wasn't especially high before SCUBA became "an industry."

flots.

Back
Top Bottom