the little bright white dots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

builderbloke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
basicly what are they and how do i stop them getting on my negatives

ive only got a point and shoot sea and sea mk50 and im not very good with it :) i seem to like getting half of my buddys head or tons of sand and a fish right down in the corner of the photo but these im sure will get better with practise

my biggest boggle is that some photos will come out cristle clear just like an above water shot but most will come out with bright whight dots all over them a ghost lovers paradise but the five films i just got developed from my last dive trip in tenerife which should have loads of lovly dolphins on them instead have bright whight dots with fins :( im not happy any more

any help on this would be apreceated ( outher than bin and get a better one as my girlfriend wont let me )

thanks guys and girls

mark

Hello,

Even if you do not use a flash backscatter will be apparent in the image.

Backscatter is any suspended material (particles if you will) that is out of the focal distance and it will take the shape of the lens iris. The #1 effective method to reduce backscatter is embrase the ambient and always shoot UP into the light, never put the light source behind you or on the same angle as the lens (i.e. strait at the subject)

Like I said even if you do NOT use any type of flash at all you will still get backscatter, it's the nature of the business. Sometimes backscatter will add to the image IF it is used creatively. More often than not it degrades the image quality severely. Some people will tell you to get close to the subject, this does reduce it but it will often ruin the composition.

Remember, timing, distance and angle.

Ed

The best way to help eliminate it is to have a strobe away from the camera that can be positioned at an angle to the film plane. It won't totally eliminate it but that will help tremendously. Backscatter is one of the biggest reasons most of us have upgraded to better camera systems and away from the point and shoot cameras.

If you aren't allowed a better camera, maybe you should replace the girlfriend! :D Kidding.......

The only advice I can give you is to get as close as your focus distance will allow to the subject or just learn to judge the conditions and don't take photos when it's not good for your cameras abilities.

thanks people for your help ill try it next time i find warmer waters

as for the girlfreind thing dee its not a bad idea probebly work out a lot cheaper in the long run :)

Hello,

Well for the girlfriend part you could always promise not to publish those images on the web.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom