The Mine LaMotte Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the Long Essay,

(< - - - - -

Thanks for the long essay, I thougth it was great. I think that everyone did a good job looking out for everyone else that was on the dive. They were constantly counting heads and bubbles to make sure everyone was accounted for. I know that it can be extrememly easy to swim into a cave in there, so everyone just has to watchout not only for your buddy but for everyone around you.

Phil

Oh, you LIKE long essays? OK, than allow me to add a P.S., hehe

B1G-
If it were me, I might not do the mapping in the cavern for 2 reasons:
1. Risk of going into a tunnel is great when you are staying below the surface, counting your kicks and concentrating on your compass
2. Those cavern zones are pretty murky. Might be easier to map somewhere w/ >10' vis..
On the other hand, you might welcome the challenge, so of coarse it's up to you!

I am in for next Sunday if we can get a group together. One qustion, I do not want to seem like the money grubber of the group. but did they charge you all an admittance fee?

The regular admittance fee is only $10, which is a real steal no matter which way you cut it. We also got a personal tour from Ken, the caretaker, which was awesome!

Tom

Actually, mentioning the headache thing, I had one pisser of a headache Saturday night. I couldn't even sleep. I think it was from dehydration and from the smoke from lunch (campfire for those who weren't there). I drank two quarts of powerade during the day, and a ton of water when I got back but was still dehydrated. Anybody else have this problem. I'm guessing it was from the fire we had going in that cave at lunch. I hope it was not from the sediment we were stirring up.

Fleep, I really doubt the surfacing from 15ft did much to cause anything bad happen. As long as you ascend slowly, you shouldn't have any problems no matter how many bounce dives you make this shallow. When helping with an OW class, I go up and down from 20' or so a dozen times each dive.

Tom

B1G-
If it were me, I might not do the mapping in the cavern for 2 reasons:
1. Risk of going into a tunnel is great when you are staying below the surface, counting your kicks and concentrating on your compass
2. Those cavern zones are pretty murky. Might be easier to map somewhere w/ >10' vis.
On the other hand, you might welcome the challenge, so of coarse it's up to you!

I appreciate your concern. Phil and I actually did wind up swimming into a side tunnel at one point. Phil was a few feet above me, and he swam into the wall while I kept going. He realized what happened, and grabbed me to stop me from going any further. We were only in about 6 feet.

I wasn't too worried at the time for a couple reasons. First, I was checking the surface with my light a bunch to make sure I had air above me, so I knew I couldn't swim too far in without noticing it. Second, I was keeping the wall within reach on my left side. When I did head into the side passage, I knew how to get out by turning around, and keeping it on my right.

Another precaution you could take to make sure you don't accidently go down an UW passage is to tow your SMB or lift bag. If you start going under a ledge, it's gonna get awfully hard to keep pulling it, so it'll tell you to get out, and its a line to open water.

About the UW mapping, I'd still love to do it, if nothing else because I don't think its been done before. I'm not sure if a compass would give a real accurate reading with all the lead in the mine still, so we would probably have to use surveyors techniques. I would definitely be using tapes or cave line instead of counting kick cycles. With the way I plan on doing it, it should be very unlikely we go anywhere accidently. We would also be measuring everything with lines, so we would always be holding a line leading to somewhere safe. When we do find the passageways leading to overhead, it will nice to know we have them marked for anybody diving through in the future.

Later,
Tom

Tom

"Another precaution you could take to make sure you don't accidently go down an UW passage is to tow your SMB or lift bag. If you start going under a ledge, it's gonna get awfully hard to keep pulling it, so it'll tell you to get out, and its a line to open water."
---nice call. who brought that inflatable pontoon surface marker? that would be perfect!

"When we do find the passageways leading to overhead, it will nice to know we have them marked for anybody diving through in the future."
--definitely. i wonder how best to mark them...

well, i'd prolly help you out if you decide to do it, sounds like you have a good basic plan. vis may improve after all the silt we stirred up (while collecting trash) settles. let's check under the arches across the quarry also. When we were on that side weekend before last we had better vis.

I enjoyed the pics, keep postin' em! where r the pics from ur dive camera (or was that skdvr)?

It wasn't me, and I'm pretty sure skdvr does not have an UW camera.
Tom

The regular admittance fee is only $10, which is a real steal no matter which way you cut it. We also got a personal tour from Ken, the caretaker, which was awesome!

Tom

The $10 admittance only applies to drunk teenagers. It's $20 for us divers.

What is up everyone!!!.. Stingray and myself just made a rainy day trip to the mines.. one of the perks of living so close to it.. we made a huge discovery that you all will poop your selves over.. Keep you on edge until our next meeting.

Steve C is correct normal price is 10 per swimmer... 20 for the divers...

Fleep= My headache was due to my stomache situation. I am limited to my liquid intake and it doesnt jive with my food intake. So i have to be concious about when I put what in... well when Im haveing a great time I kindof blow it off until later. Well it bit me .. I was never in any danger just felt bad... Im ok now. FLEEP... I know your there for all of us if we need it... great observations on the previous ... my freaking knee is killing me.. those steps are bad... I will never do that again.. Plan on me launching from the lagoon or next to the shack where we had the trailer... Steps are BAD!!!... mmmmkay lol..

Ok I cant wait.... Ken mentioned to us about another cave system that is hidden from normal view.. he said that it was walkable and went back and split off into 3-4 directions.. Its true... crystal clear water... all open air over water like 20' above the water. We even ran across a huge colony of bats.. like 500+.

Tell you where it is later.. hahahahahaha

As for mapping the "blacksmith area" Im for it.. it has to be done anyways. We really need to be selective on how its done. When I say selective we need to evaluate all experience levels and perform this in a way that utilizes it in a safe way. We have found some photos from the early years at the mines we all need to see.

Mapping of the mine systems have been started back in 1999 I am in contact with them and awaiting their return from Alaska. At that point he agreed to lend us a hand either personally or through corespondance for his data that he has compiled.

Sunday is looking good for me. Stingray is out of town. anyone else up for it?
well im off to ice my knee and watch some tv.
talk to yall soon.

Back
Top Bottom