The most ridiculously overstaffed Fundies class ever taught . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good right up's everyone. All fair and accurate records of our funnies course. The course was a lot of work but its paying off now. Felling way better in the water. Thanks Guy, Koos, Jo, Liz, Alex, Dave and Dennis for the excellent instruction and Lynne, Dale, Ryan, Jim, Rick for being my dive buddies.

10408040_10152604425400863_2719644994319628999_n.jpg

Today, we began with going through all the gear. It had never occurred to me that using my Hog regs with the diaphragm pointing up rendered them vulnerable to damage, and after trying to deal with installing the reg the other way around, I may decide to go ahead and live with the risk. I almost ran out of my supply of profanity in the process. A few other things were a bit long, or not tied in precisely the right place, and the rig will be better for the tune-up.

If the diaphragm were to get damaged on a dive....so what.

You now would have a non cold first stage, and even in REALLY cold water with good technique it normally is not a problem underwater, the dry seals cold kits help prevent the problem on the surface.

If the diaphragm were to get damaged on a dive....so what.

You now would have a non cold first stage, and even in REALLY cold water with good technique it normally is not a problem underwater, the dry seals cold kits help prevent the problem on the surface.

You'd at least have a PITA that you'd have to fix at a later time.

Why bother? Ain't nobody got time for that!

Why bother saying it's a potential problem? In 20 years of this I have NEVER seen or had reported to me a reg cold water diaphragm get damaged while diving by "being exposed". I just find it amusing that it was identified as an issue.

Why bother saying it's a potential problem? In 20 years of this I have NEVER seen or had reported to me a reg cold water diaphragm get damaged while diving by "being exposed". I just find it amusing that it was identified as an issue.

Laugh now, cry later!!!

Well, as I said, the class had a whole BUNCH of instructional staff, and the consensus actually was that it wasn't an issue, and I put the reg back the way it had been because the hose routing worked better, it was easier to reach my valve for the valve drill, and it was far more comfortable for my head.

Perhaps your experience differs from someone else's?

Crazy i know!

Perhaps your experience differs from someone else's?

Crazy i know!
I am arrogant enough to say my reg experience and dive experience are pretty much extensive enough to make my views in this area have some validity....

Well then I guess you can do it how you like. We all make our own choices.

Well, as I said, among the staff, there was only one who was concerned about this, so this is not GUE teaching -- it was a concern of one instructor. It seemed a rather unlikely problem to me, as anything that's going to get to that diaphragm is going to have to go through my head to do it, most of the time . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom